MamaCoop

Desperate to rehome a hen

I am absolutely desperate to rehome a hen. 

We have had her for about 2 years and she has never settled. Always pacing and so noisy (over and above normal chicken noise)  My neighbours have made comments.

I have been trying for a while to find someone for her. I've tried Facebook and  local chicken owners. 

I cant find anyone. She has taken all joy out of chicken keeping and she does now have to go. 

Her ideal would be free ranging. But not many people do that now. 

Does anyone know of anyone that rehomes? I'm in Warwickshire. 

The additional challenge is she is going through a heavy molt and looks absolutely awful. Did the same last year. I also feel incredibly uncomfortable trying to rehome her when she looks neglected (and she isnt when she has all feathers she is beautiful!) and with her being noisy. I feel I don't want to give the problem to someone else. 

What do I do? Help x

Edited by MamaCoop

On 8/4/2022 at 9:29 AM, MamaCoop said:

I am absolutely desperate to rehome a hen. 

We have had her for about 2 years and she has never settled. Always pacing and so noisy (over and above normal chicken noise)  My neighbours have made comments.

I have been trying for a while to find someone for her. I've tried Facebook and  local chicken owners. 

I cant find anyone. She has taken all joy out of chicken keeping and she does now have to go. 

Her ideal would be free ranging. But not many people do that now. 

Does anyone know of anyone that rehomes? I'm in Warwickshire. 

The additional challenge is she is going through a heavy molt and looks absolutely awful. Did the same last year. I also feel incredibly uncomfortable trying to rehome her when she looks neglected (and she isnt when she has all feathers she is beautiful!) and with her being noisy. I feel I don't want to give the problem to someone else. 

What do I do? Help x

I think I told you before, I had a very similar hen. (Will never get any partridge coloured hen ever again)

I rehomed mine at the petting zoo I got her from in the first place. Is the breeder you got her from an option?

Otherwise I would inform with an RSPCA close to you. Might not be the best option for the hen, but you also need to consider your own sanity.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 9:59 PM, Cat tails said:

I think I told you before, I had a very similar hen. (Will never get any partridge coloured hen ever again)

I rehomed mine at the petting zoo I got her from in the first place. Is the breeder you got her from an option?

Otherwise I would inform with an RSPCA close to you. Might not be the best option for the hen, but you also need to consider your own sanity.

Thank you for remembering Cat tails. She is a partridge colour funnily enough. She is beautiful. A vorwerk type with lovely tail feathers and a blue egg. 

I have managed to rehome her! I had a final stalk of FB and saw a local farmer offered to take a few hens from someone that was moving. I messaged and ask if they had room for one more and they do. 

Gosh I was a bit emotional after they agreed and I drop her off tomorrow.  It's been a stress filled time with her. She hasn't been happy from day 1. It was a real sense of relief when they said yes. As I did think I needed to either have her put down or to leave her to free range in the fields at the end of our road. She was really testing my insanity and surprised my neighbours haven't said anything. 

So a good nights sleep and hopefully a quieter day tomorrow 🤞

I guess sometimes, like humans, no matter what you do hens don't settle. I am hoping the farm free range life suits her. 

Edited by MamaCoop
  • Like 1

That’s amazing news! Must be such a relief! 
I packed my hen in a cat carrier in the middle of the night and shipped her off to the petting zoo in the morning, when I couldn’t handle her anymore. It was that or indeed snapping…
It actually happened to me twice with very similar looking birds, both partridge coloured. Never settling, constantly pacing and whining/screeching. Especially when needing to lay. Even added hay and a blanket to the nesting box at one point, hoping they would settle.

Happy times are coming!

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2022 at 9:52 PM, Cat tails said:

That’s amazing news! Must be such a relief! 
I packed my hen in a cat carrier in the middle of the night and shipped her off to the petting zoo in the morning, when I couldn’t handle her anymore. It was that or indeed snapping…
It actually happened to me twice with very similar looking birds, both partridge coloured. Never settling, constantly pacing and whining/screeching. Especially when needing to lay. Even added hay and a blanket to the nesting box at one point, hoping they would settle.

Happy times are coming!

Thanks Cat tails. Our experince sounds so similar. And I hear you when you talk about snapping. She was slowly driving me crazy. 

This was her! It's as if you had visited my garden!!

"Never settling, constantly pacing and whining/screeching"

Today I sat out in the garden and it was quiet.  My other hens quietly mooching around and doing their thing. Shed a little tear of relief and a big lung filled sigh of relief!! 

Funny how a chicken can have such an impact on the atmosphere! 

• Like 1