Spetznaaz

Where to find suitable sand in the U.K?

I want to put sand in our coop and potentially the run due to ease of cleaning. I have read play sand is too fine and some people say to use building sand but not only does that also seem too fine but i wonder what other additives they put in.

I just want some clean co***** sand, like you get at some beaches but can't seem to find it for sale anywhere apart from i think i found like 100g on amazon for stupid price. Does anyone know where to source suitable co***** sand for chickens?

Cheers

Building sand contains natural salts which may potentially burn their feet. Washed sand is sharp, so potential for scale damage. We've used 'play' sand for rearing baby chicks (after 7 days) without any problems. Used to sieve the poo out, but it does get smelly quite quickly. In our coops we use newspaper or feed bags over wood shavings as a cushion for heavy birds jumping off the perch. Dustpan and brush scoops the poo out and the papers can be changed when very dirty or wet; we've used that method for 8 years now.

Not sure what the censorship is about in my OP, apparently the word coa rse is banned lol

That's interesting that you say it goes smelly quickly as i had read the opposite if you scoop it daily. I did want to use pine shavings but can't seem to source them for a reasonable price. The wood shavings you get at places like pets at home worry me as no one seems to know if they contain any cedar. What's the smell like with wood shavings compared with sand?

Thinking about it further, the chicks were under lamps and there wasn't much air circulation, so perhaps outside in a well aired coop you wouldn't have a problem. I find wood chips a real pain. We poo pick every day and it gets hidden in the shavings, which don't compost very well either. But shavings do start to smell and need changing and it's the cost with ten coops (at the time) that prompted us to change to paper. Downside is some do like scratching it up, although eventually get fed up of that game.

Washed sand is coa rse sand (of course).