Louise

Reliving the 1980's

Oh Louise, you should see the things I have kept?!?!? :oops:

But instead of taking up space at my home, I have left everything at my mum and dad's. :shock::roll::wink: In the loft and my old room, which is still "my room" even though I'm not there anymore.

Every time I go round to visit, mum always say "Right lets just go up stairs and sort out one box/draw/cupboard!!! I'm getting there slowly, but the keep pile is always bigger than the throw or recycle pile. :oops::roll::lol:

Sammi :wink:

I was a bit like that Sammi, my mum kept lots of stuff as she always hoped for grandchilderen but as I have the maternal instincts of a cuckoo :oops: she finally gave up and all of my old dolls, teddies and books were finally boxed up for charity a couple of years ago I still have a few favourites but only a few. The gloves actually got worn about 6 years ago to a fancy dress party that I went to as a black cat (halloween party). From memory they are the only clothes relic that has survived from the 80's I have a very flowery shirt as well but I was working by then so it must be early 90's :oops::lol::wink:

I'm so glad this thread has been re-activated - I was a child of the eighties - all I wanted when I was 13 was a ra-ra skirt :oops::oops:

I loved the eighties music and it brings back fab memories for me every time I hear the stuff!!

Paul (being so VERY much older than me :wink: ) was a child of the 70s. Luckily I only saw one picture of him at his sister's wedding in the 70s with a velvet jacket and tie (with the BIGGEST knot ever!!) well after we were married - otherwise I might have had to pass :wink:

80s pop was obsessed with nuclear war - we grew up in total fear of being wiped out! Remember Enola Gay (OMD), Dancing With Tears in My eyes (Ultravox) and Roland Rat (Rat Rapping)...

Do you rember the BBCtv drama Threads (or was it called the Day After)? and it showed the aftermath of a nuclear bomb being dropped on Sheffield..? Foul! :(

Yes, that was scary! We used to be shown Protect and Survive public service announcements at school - stuff of nightmares!!

Total YUK!

I hardly noticed the eighties outside having children!!!! I have in mind no decent music (except Tainted Heart, Soft Cell)

'Love Sheila, sorry it's tainted love, excellent choice though! I had a kind of 'Soft cell' bondage picture on the wall, from a magazine I suppose but thought I was rebelious, my mum hated it (result!!) :lol:

I tried to go sort of boy george but wasn't very brave so ended up just wearing a pinafore and hat (with flat shoes) thought I was cool :oops::oops: . Then it was Spandau dancing (remember the moves anyone?). The pug was very trendy and had suits made so I thought he was a bit special (didn't realise we would end up getting married! :shock :shock: )

I slept in howard Jones tent!!! 8) Not with howard in it though :oops::roll: , a friend knew him in high wycombe and had his old tent! Have gossip about said Mr Jones but may get in trouble if I put on forum!!!

Oh I loved the 80's but not being in teens really!!

Lovely topic to day dream about!

Bx :lol:

Sorry kate, the image must be scary!! :oops: It is so tame looking back but it's that silly stage of life when you aren't at all 8) but you want to be (probably just me). They had two chains and sunglasses on and were wearing leather jackets oh I'm soooo :oops::oops:

My mum thought I'd go off the rails I think, well I never did!! :lol::lol:

Bx :wink:

"I think I'm Turning Japanese"

Sorry(!) couldn't resist a quick Vapours reference whilst talking about squinting over rude photographs on an 80s thread...

Anyway. can anyone help??? :?

' I really think so!' sorry another line

You now sound more weird than me thanks!! :wink:

Will ask 'the pug' later about the video, remember hearing about this, he's a bit of a music buff!! We used to wait for videos like this to be shown really late on channel 4, remember.

Oh did anyone see the Frankie Goes to Hollywood thing on Digital last night? Holly is like a character from a bond movie with a little white dog (not cat), 8) But still ok after years as an HIV sufferer, :) great!

Memories of 'relax'on t shirts and Frankie's Relax being banned by Mike Read. We have several 12 inch versions, the pug always had to have all the versions. Think the video was made at camden palace, remember going there with those gross inflatable trapeze artists!? 8):P

bx

Ohhhh!!

Don't think I was ever near enough to the front. :(

Once did the make up for friends in a band at a place in chesham (can't remember the name), our band 'my finest hour', were support and it was the biggest, Proper venue, we'd been to.

All the girls were hanging off the doors and screaming and I felt like I was so 8) . In my mind I was at wembley with Duran Duran!!

Bx

Memories of 'relax'on t shirts and Frankie's Relax being banned by Mike Read. We have several 12 inch versions, the pug always had to have all the versions. Think the video was made at camden palace, remember going there with those gross inflatable trapeze artists!? 8):P

bx

I remember all the 'Frankie Says' t shirts - they were the height of fashion at my school (along with luminous socks and plastic earrings - and that was just the boys!) until some bright spark came in with one that said 'Frankie says......F*** off' (only without the stars to protect innocent eyes), so then they were banned.

I also have a very clear memory of my mum singing 'Relax' to herself while baking, having heard my big brother play it over and over again, and being completely innocent to its meaning - she just thought it was a catching song!