carov

acidified copper sulphate

Hi there,

I've read that acidified copper sulphate is useful for treatment/prevention of oral canker. I've searched everywhere online and can't find anywhere in the UK that sells it. Ideally,  don't want to order it from the States. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

There is no prevention as it is transmitted by saliva from infected birds sharing feeders and drinkers. A healthy birds' immune system will fight the parasite (Trichomonas Gallinae) but once infected and the cankers show the vet treatment is Metronidazole (Flagyl). We have treated it and kept it in check for a while with iced water and onions, but once it gains a hold in the throat and airways it is unstoppable, even with the drugs. So there is no 'oral canker', just that's what you can see and the cankers are already in the other locations. We had a cockerel who developed tiny cankers as a result of the stress of his move. He was treated with Flagyl very quickly and the cankers never reappeared, even when he was ill. The danger was always going to be that the TG remained just dormant, but when he was finally introduced to his hens they didn't catch it. These were an isolated breeding quartet and it isn't transmitted in the eggs. But it would be transmitted by a broody, so a good reason for incubator hatching and isolated rearing.

This is another reason why new stock should be isolated for two weeks; to give time for this parasite to show. Introducing previously infected birds will always carry the risk of infecting the whole flock.

Forgot to mention this is a highly contagious condition, transmitted by saliva in the shared feeders and drinkers so, whilst the rest of the flock isn't showing any signs of it, you must consider them all infected and treat them all, otherwise the hen you treat will simply immediately catch it again. A condition to watch out for during the minimum two week quarantine of any new chickens. Buy enough Flagyl to treat all your chickens @Elisa. Thoroughly wash all the feeders and drinkers after treatment and discard any feed and water that was in them.

Hello I think one of my hens may have canker in the mouth - is it possible to buy Metronidazole (Flagyl) for chickens in the uk in order to treat my hen at home ?

Thanks so much @Beantree. I will  contact  the vet and see if they will prescribe it .