jos

chickens eating polystyrene

I had to cut some polystyrene sheets up near the chickens this afternoon and the wind blew some of the small pieces into where the chickens are. Before I had time to think they had gobbled down quite a bit of the stuff.

Will they have tummy aches..... or worse?! I can't believe eating polystyrene can do them any good, yet I had always thought they were reasonably sensible about eating stuff that was bad for them.

Anyone any thoughts?

I don't think it will do any harm - some people in the past have recommended hanging a bit of polystyrene in the run for them to peck at, to stop them getting bored.

Jay (Xscrunchee) did this, and I believe her hens loved it, but someone else pointed out that the chemicals in it probably weren't very good for the hens. I remember it well, because I had been about to copy her and hang some up as a toy! :oops:

I don't think her hens suffered any lasting effects though - not recommended, but a few bits won't do them any harm.