Rolo Rabbit

Economy drive - what can we eat???

get some cream cheese - I like the garlic and herb one - then when you have some leftover veg eg mushrooms, onion, leek - all you need to do is boil some pasta and stir in half a packet of cream cheese and voila! a lovely creamy pasta. If you have some thyme in the garden chop up some of that and mix it in - lovely.

Chickpea stew? Soak chickpeas overnight. Next day rinse, cover with water and cook with stock cube (chicken or veg), chopped onion and any other compatible veg such as peppers. You can chuck in cooked bits of sausage or chicken :oops: if you have them.

Keep topping up with water as needed. I would add lovely dumplings made from Bisquick (my Statestide heritage :oops: ) in the last 20 minutes. The dumplings are light and fluffy and soak up and enhance the liquid of the stew. Cheap and cheerful! :D

Something lovely and healthful is steamed veggies with a cheese or white sauce served with bought crusty bread or homemade wholemeal bread.

Steam veggies such as chopped courgettes, onions, red, yellow and green peppers, brocolli, cabbage chunks, whatever is going cheap at the time (not best of time for this) and make a cheese sauce out of a white sauce of melted butter and flour, thinned with milk (which can be watered down) and seasoned with salt and pepper (dash of Tabasco as well). Cheese is recommended but, if tightening belts, optional.

Obviously, the cheese will add protein and calcium which is all to the good, but white sauce will do in a pinch1

Firstly, things to do with mince -

Meatballs (with pasta and tomato sauce, or with a sauce over and chips or mash or spicy lamb ones with a yoghurt sauce)

Meatloaf (Can be made with different types of mince if you can get them, useful with a roast dinner instead of a joint and good for sandwiches if there's any left over)

Homemade hamburgers

Meat & potato pie (with gravy mmmm)

Spag bol /Chilli /Shepherd's Pie

Stuffed vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, courgettes, aubergines)

Mincemeat slice or pasties (made with seasoned mince and pastry)

Next, lovely soups not previously mentioned

Leek and potato

Pea and ham (you can get a ham hock, or whatever it's called for about £1.50 round here)

Not a soup but mention it here anyway - Scouse. Cheap piece of lamb, like blade? or "scrag end", simmered for ages with potatoes, onions and carrots. or something like that eh Poet :wink: )

Stir fry

Fried rice

Fresh sardines, grilled with salt and pepper.

Fishcakes (chucknette said tuna, I like them with tinned pink salmon - a bit dearer though)

Sweet things

Fruit cake/ tea loaf/Bara Brith or Banana bread (also good for lunch boxes)

Nice but cheap puddings, crumble or stuffed apples

I use any left over roast potatoes chopped up in a spanish omlette.

Toasted pitta breads make a nice carrier for dips like hummous.

I'm hungry now, off to make some toast!

Sardines & rice. OH and I used to eat a lot of this at Uni (over 20 yrs ago), still make it every so often especially when we're cutting costs, made it recently expecting our kids to hate it and they loved it !

Fry up onions and garlic, add rice, stock and tinned tomatoes. cook until rice staring to get soft, add tinned sardines (break them up a bit to nice bite size pieces).

Approx 1 medium onion 1 tin sardines and 1 tin tomatoes for every 2 people. Add relatively small amount of stock initially and add water so it never gets too wet. I usually use basmati rice as that's what we buy in bulk.

Sorry directions are a bit vague, I might try and take more notice next time we make it.

Mexican Eggs

Fry an onion, add seasoning & a bit of chilli (powder,fresh or puree)

Add a can of chopped tomatoes ,& let it cook down a bit.

Make dips in it & break an egg in each,scatter over some cheddar & cook on the top until set.

Finish under the grill to make the cheese bubbly, then finish with a sprinkle of coriander if you have it,.

Serve with crusty bread & rough red wine - delicious!