abwsco

Impacted crop

Usually the crop will still be full in the morning and wil be rigid to the touch.

The best treatment is to giev her plenty of water, drip warm olive oil into her beak and massage the crop 2 or 3 times a day and feed her live white maggots. If it doesn't clear, then take her to the vet. If she's a greedy bird, then restrict what she eats for a few days or she'll make it worse.

Please do check around her environment to see of anything there might be causing it... long grass, straw, hay, long stringy plants.

What are the symptons of an impacted crop? Keep reading about it but not sure what to look out for if your chicken won't let you handle it.

You will just be able to see it.

A normal chicken's crop fills up during the day and by late pm/eve you notice a lump where the food is and overnight this goes through their system and in the morning there is no bump. However, if the bump is there regularly first thing, it might be sour or impacted crop.

My Henny was waking every morning with a huge, swinging crop which you can't miss. This is her with her crop just hanging low to the left of the pic.

100_2567.jpg

Wow thanks for the picture - I haven't really known where to look for a full crop - well only the anatomy pictures in chicken books. Really helps to see an actual picture of a live hen :lol:

Maybe mine are too fat or I just don't notice - have never seen their crops that full :?