ali-s Posted May 25, 2008 Share Posted May 25, 2008 In our soon to be cottage (originally three very small cottages)there are 3 fireplaces each with 1 or 2 ovens built in at the side. I would like to find out more about them with the view to actually trying to cook on each of them The cottages were built about 1900. I have tried googling "fireplace ovens" and "victorian fireplaces" without any success. Does anyone know the correct name for the fireplaces or any ideas what to google next? thankyou Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted May 25, 2008 Share Posted May 25, 2008 Does it look like this: Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted May 25, 2008 Share Posted May 25, 2008 You could try Victorian Range. I think they also used to call them Fireboxes. Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roxanne Posted May 25, 2008 Share Posted May 25, 2008 Try 'bread ovens' and 'ranges' too. Is is a cast iron range or an open fireplace with a brick oven in the side of the chimney breast? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ali-s Posted May 25, 2008 Author Share Posted May 25, 2008 Fred's picture looks very similar to one of them but the ovens are smaller and are a different colour (creamy, beige) in our cottage. The 2nd fireplace is black and has small painted flowers on it. The ovens are tiny. The 3rd fireplace is black with brass k"Ooops, word censored!"s on the doors. There is a copper kettle hanging from a chain The fireplaces and ovens are not posh as the cottages were built for farmworkers. I didn't think to take a camera with me when we viewed the property I will try googling all the other suggestions. thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted May 26, 2008 Share Posted May 26, 2008 I bought a book recently on bread ovens - I'll see if I can find it again.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ali-s Posted May 26, 2008 Author Share Posted May 26, 2008 Thanks Lesley I am all googled out and haven't come up with any information. I would like to read up on them and I haven't bought any books from Amazon for ages Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
little chickadee Posted May 26, 2008 Share Posted May 26, 2008 Did you have any luck with this? I'm intrigued Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted May 27, 2008 Share Posted May 27, 2008 I ordered two books from Amazon Marketplace - the first one wasn't much use for what I wanted...... but was probably what you are looking for..........but I can't find it......... I will report back when I find it.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...