Ali B Posted May 29, 2008 Share Posted May 29, 2008 Does anyone have any experience of Amber Lee chickens? I currently have 4 Bovan Goldlines (have had them about a month) and would like add another couple of girls before the original 4 get too funny about new arrivals. I quite fancy the look of Amber Lees - any advice? Please? The 4 Bovans are laying well already, and I know that it might put them off their stride a bit in the beginning, but any advice on introducing new chooks would be welcome too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hen Watch Posted June 2, 2008 Share Posted June 2, 2008 Hi, I'm not sure but I think the Amber Lee chicken (shown on the Cotswold chickens website below) is the same as my Amber Star I got from a Meadow Sweet agent last year. http://www.cotswoldchickens.com/breeds.htm My Amber Star is lovely, She is docile, friendly, good with my children. She sometimes is very slightly more vocal than the others, but this may be more due to the fact that she is the bottom of the pecking order as she was introduced last and has to "fight her corner". She consistently lays eggs. She looks white from a distance, but close up she looks "dirty" as the ends of her feathers are brown tinged (and have got more so the older she gets). She's a great hen though. Here she is: Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ali B Posted June 3, 2008 Author Share Posted June 3, 2008 Thanks for this - think I'll give it a go Don't really need any more, as hubby doesn't eat eggs, and no kids at home, but they are so ADDICTIVE! Betty, Olive, Elizabeth and Jane the Boss soon to be new additions! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jane 20 Posted June 3, 2008 Share Posted June 3, 2008 One of our new girls is an amber star, despite being the smallest she is the bravest and going to be very pretty I think Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted June 3, 2008 Share Posted June 3, 2008 DD's amber is our biggest, greediest chook and the most likely to mug you for treats. She's very cheeky, jumping up at people like an excited puppy and sometimes perching on shoulders. Lovely orangey-brown eggs and pretty big considering she's only been laying two months, they're around 64g at the moment. When DD chose her, I wasn't immediately struck, I have to be honest. She hid for days to start with and was incredibly nervous, but she's grown up and is now a fabulous character and a beautiful girl with quite impressive headgear. Get one - you won't regret it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 I have the same type of chicken too,although I didn't get her from a Meadowsweet agent. My Bracken (photos in Gallery,link below) is a super hen.She is really friendly,very pretty & one of my favourites. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ms Tilytinkle Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 Hello, Not sure if you mean you don't need any more comments or chickens Our white one, we were told when we bought her; is called a Mendlesham Amber. She's absolutely beautiful, gorgeous white plumage with amber coloured tinting around her neck & some areas on her wings. She's totally adorable, so gentle & looks at you deep into your eyes then 'buk buk's' at you.. She's a great layer, laying every day since she started. She's very friendly & very placid. She waits till all the others have had their fill when its treat time then comes in for hers. Since introducing mealworms, the pepperpots have become more aggressive in the food scrum, they're much more dominant & chase Boudeccia ( white one ) & Agnes ( speckled ). She respects their power but it doesnt stop her from going around the other side to try again., whereas Agnes , our youngest one runs off & doesn't even try. So i guess she's middle to low in the newly established pecking order but with great confidence. I wanted a white one so i could see her more easily too & everytime i look for them i usually first spot a flash of white She's elegant & trim . .she doesn't seem to carry the food as the others do..maybe she's not as greedy as the pepperpots who always come home looking as if their little crops are full & bulging. She always runs to us first as well every time she sees any of us. Ms Tillylovesherchookswaaaywaaaytoomuch Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gallina Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 I think the Amber Lee must be the new version of the Amber Star. It says it's new on the Cotswold Collection website, and they no longer seem to be offering Amber Stars, so it seems a reasonable deduction. I have an Amber Star from the Cotswold Collection, and she is the friendliest most intelligent hen I have ever had. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mel (& Paul) Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 Our dear departed Jerryldene and Margot"Well Really Jerry" were both Amber Stars and they were very friendly and tame. You can never have too many chickens Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Laura & CTB Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 My Prada is an amber star - she's the first one to run to the back door to say hello and have a chat with me She used to hate being picked up but now she settles down, oh and she loves having her feet washed Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redfrock Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 I have an Amber Star as well. She is one of my bigger girls and I simply adore her. She is so friendly and has a really sweet nature. She is also very bright as she knows exactly how to get the treats and keep them! She chatters away to me and is often stood by me just looking up and talking away. It is Clementine that was dropped from the fox's jaws and she has bounced back from it as if nothing ever happened. She is also an excellent layer. I love all my chooks but Clem and my Speckledy Ruby seem to have wormed their way into a very special place in my heart Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ali B Posted June 4, 2008 Author Share Posted June 4, 2008 Thank you to everyone for all their comments. I'm persuaded, and am off this afternoon to pick-up the girls. If I get to grips with all things techy, I'll post some piccies! Betty, Olive, Elizabeth and Jane the Boss Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phosphorus Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 I have a Bovans Amber - looks the spitting image of your Amber Lee picture on the Cotsworld Website. I think it is just a variation of the name for the same hybrid chosen by the breeders. Oh and mine is the friendliest hen ever as well Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...