annie hall

Newbie eglu lady

Hello All,

I've been having a look at the forum since I got my login yesterday and thought I would introduce myself.

I first saw the eglu last summer, there was a bit about it in the sunday paper and my sister rang me on holiday to tell me about it, she was that excited. Naturally I wanted one immediately, esp as we were about to move house to a property with a big garden (big by my standards anyway coming from a stone yard at the back of a northern terrace!). Naturally I got the paper and showed it to himself who immediately proclaimed 'Chickens?!, and look at the price!' anyway to cut a long story short the eglu is being delivered on friday 20th May and I am in bits with the excitement of it all, himself is also exicited but more dubious about the whole farago than myself. I have been in touch with a breeder and hopefully we will go to collect our chooks the next day. In the mean time I am contenting myself with reading the forum and getting my vicarious chicken thrills that way. I look forward to letting you all know when the eglu/chooks arrive and will definately post pics.

Thanks also for all the brilliant advice I've read on this forum so far, its been a big help.

Hello Annie and welcome to the forum.

It's so exciting, isn't it. Good job you've got the forum to get your chicken fix until the big day dawns!! You'll be so confident and sure of what you're doing after reading about all our successes, mistakes and worries that you'll be a chicken expert!! That's the great thing about the forum - wish it had been going when my girls arrived though - would have saved me getting a few of the white hairs!!

Good luck when the Eglu and hens get together - keep us posted, won't you and looking forward to photos in the gallery! What breed of hen are you going for, by the way??

Hi Kate

We are probably getting a warren and a black rock or black speckled depending on what we like when we see them etc. The breeder also sells pure breeds as well as hybrids but I think the hybrids are probably the best bet for us at the moment. We were a bit concerned at first about how our cats would cope, indeed if they might harm the chooks, but having observed their behaviour around other birds in the garden I don't think we have much to worry about. Basically, they'll stop out if theres only blue tits about but if a wood pidgeon lands on the lawn they come bolting back through the cat flap like bats out of hell. Im sure they will get used to the chooks eventually though.

A

Hi Annie Hall and welcome

This is where the northerners get nosy :lol:

Having spotted reference to northern concrete yard and seeing as you are outside the delivery area and collecting your hens yourself - do you live in the northeast? There aren't many omleteers up here so we are delighted to find new converts - plan is to take over the world actually - hens for every household sort of thing.. I'm in Jesmond, Newcastle. Let me know if you are local and would like details of stockists for hen food etc.

Your choice of hens looks sensible. I think the modern hybrids are a good beginners hen - healthy, reliable layers and nice temperment. I like having 2 that I can tell apart from a distance and it helps that they lay slightly different brown shades of egg so I can tell who is pulling their weight and earning their corn.

Hi annie

We used to live in Totley and kept hens and ducks in our garden backing onto the old Totley College playing fields. There are some pictures of one of the broods I hatched there in the photoalbum. Do they still have that incredible fish and chip shop in Dore?

We are probably getting a warren and a black rock or black speckled
Hi Annie .... the hybrids are certainly good layers :!: .

I have an adopted flock .. of about 30 Warrens, a few Welsommers, 3 Sussex Stars and a Black Rock ... all new news to the rest of the forum now :roll::wink: . Anyway ... the Sussex tend to go broody, the Blackrock lay lovely choc coloured eggs, like the Pepperpots from Omlet (generally speaking) and the Welsommers and Warrens are egg machines. 8) . Generally larger and paler brown eggs.

Today ... I collected around 30 eggs ... one in the paddock was laid as I walked in :shock::lol::lol::lol: , so I saved this from pecking beaks. :P .

I initially had a Ginger and Pepper, now have a Ginger and Amberstar, and its nice to have 2 very different hens at home, and also nice to have the different shell colour of the eggs.

Good luck ... and welcome to the forum.

Hi there Annie Hall. I'm in Garforth, near Leeds so in between you and Mother hen. I used an Omlet recommended breeder in Silsden and he was great, very helpful and friendly, didn't look at me weird when I asked for specific breeds not just "brown en's" as one more local breeder said he stocked :?

Hi Annie I'm near Olney, almost east midlands, north bucks etc!!

Welcome. Look at my posts before the girls came, I was beside myself. Bedtime reading was the big book of hens!! :wink:

Anyway think it's almost a month and they are lovely, whatever you have they will be a joy and himself will fall hook line and sinker as Mikey now really loves them!!

They follow him and he gets a telling off if we haven't paid much attention to them. I am mum, so I get a very teenage response , sort of "wotever" like little britain, oh whats her name, yeah but no but, only saw it last night!!

Get some grapes they are a hit! What colour have you chosen?

Bx :lol: