Tessa the Duchess Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 Since one of my Pepperpots died and I've been left with only two chickens I have been planning to add two more. Now the big run is finished I have been looking around for breeders reasonably near London. I was looking at the breeders in the back of Practical Poultry and to my amazement there is a city farm which breeds and sells chickens about 5 miles from me in North London They breed Silkies, Cochins and Brahmas. I only have the Eglu for sleeping quarters so Cochins are probably too big. Do you think two Brahmas would fit in an Eglu with two biggish Pepperpots? The Silkies look gorgeous but do you think the Pepperpots would accept them as they look so different? Tbh I really want Bluebells, does anybody know of a Bluebell breeder located in Herts or at a pinch in Essex? Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted June 4, 2008 Author Share Posted June 4, 2008 Oh sorry, I've posted in the wrong place AGAIN could some kind mod move it for me. Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BeckyBoo Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 If you think Cochins are big, you should see Brahmas! They stand about knee height and I don't think they'd fit in an Eglu! That said I think you can get them bantam sized although I stand to be corrected. Whenever I've been to choose more I go intending to get whatever it is but inevitable come away with whatever has taken my fancy on the day. Have fun choosing Mrs Bertie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Boris70 Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 Hi, Thornes in Letchworth do have bluebelles sometimes. They get a delivery of hybrids every 4 weeks I think - and it depends on what they get. Next lot due in 2 weeks now - maybe worth giving them a call to see what they are eggpecting ( ) 01462 675767 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bondinho Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 Brahmas do fit in eglus, but you wouldn't get 2 in there along with 2 big pepperpots I'm afraid. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 Thorne's have a couple of bluebelles left. Their phone line is down at the moment but I was there earlier today and they had maybe 10 left. They also have some rather nice sussex looky-likey hybrids. TAJ mentioned on another thread that Silkies only lay 60 eggs per year on average, and having seen them, brahmas and cochins are freakishly large chooks! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted June 4, 2008 Author Share Posted June 4, 2008 So helpful, thanks guys. I would love some really huge chickens but must be practical. I haven't quite thought through the housing for introductions but Thornes sounds very promising when I finally get it all sorted, hopefully at the weekend. Still got to break the news to DH Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stoice Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 I'm picking up my bluebelle from here... http://www.hens4homes.co.uk/ They're in essex though so it may be a little out of your way. Check out their site anyway as it has a gallery of various breeds, pics, no of eggs a year etc. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...