Cate in NZ

radio 4 food programme

The children were on the computer, so I was reduced to reading the radio guide for tomorrow (well it was that or housework :oops: ), and I noticed that radio 4's food programme at 12:30 is all about keeping chickens "a growing hobby in the UK" according to the blurb in the Mail. It claims that there will be tips on feeding a brood of hens, keeping them salmonella free & eggs & cholesterol, as well as how to boil an egg :!::!:

Obviously I don't know if it'll be interesting, but it attracted my attention, so I'll be listening in, and I wondered if any of you might be interested as well.

Kate A (green eglu)

Sage PP

Onion GNR

If I forget to listen to the repeat - which is quite possible :? - could someone tell me what was said about eggs and cholesterol? The write up implied that they were going to say how many eggs a week is OK before cholesterol levels shoot up.

I only heard part of it but cholesterol test was v.interesting. I don't think they mentioned quantities but the gist of it was;

a group of people ate lots (?sorry, not verbatim here) of eggs (for a while)with cholesterol measured before & after test.

Result; No increase in cholesterol levels! :D:D

The report suggested that advice of 1 per week was unfounded, (1983 I seem to recall) & that the fat levels are mostly healthy unsaturated, & therefore the body uses them & doesn't clog up with them.

I never believed the advice of 1 per week, esp. for growing children, so nutritious. This report seemed to confirm OK to eat balanced diet including eggs. Here, here!

Maybe someone else was listening in more detail?

Sorry - I meant to come back and say that I did listen to it and what you have put is correct. They have now decided that the fat in eggs is 'mono' and is good for you - what I always said to the nurse in the clinic when i refused to cut right down on eggs

I have to attend Heart Clinic annually after my Mother had a Heart Bypass op. and was a most unlikely candidate for it. I had to have a cholesterol test which was very high, I have the Familial version which cannot be changed through diet. I had been veggie for over 20 years at the time and was normal weight. My sister also had to have a test, she is about 5 stone overweight and likes all the wrong foods - her test was very low :? We are being monitored as part of the research into cholesterol levels and I've been eating a lot more eggs recently so it will be interesting to see what my next results say!

I remember a few years ago my father - in -law having a high cholesterol count and was advised to have a high intake of oily fish. From then on for about a year he had oily fish about five times a week and at the end of the whole thing, it hadn't made a bit of difference! Except that by then he couldn't stand the stuff!

Scottie

Mabel and Sylvia

If anyone missed today's Radio 4 repeat - and it was a very intersting programme - you can hear it again on this site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/foodprogramme.shtml

Re cholesterol and eggs - the 'bad' cholesterol in our blood is all made by our liver and is nothing to do with cholesterol in the food we eat. What does increase the cholesterol we make is a diet high in saturated and hydrogenated fats.

I thought the programme was really interesting, especially the bit about feeding sunflower seeds to the chickens to make omega 3 eggs which the chickens love but are also really good for us.

The only bit that concerned me was when they were talking about the hens getting too old to lay and killing them to put in the pot. I don't think I could bear to do that and my garden will just become a retirement home for aged hens. Does anyone know how long they lay for and has anyone reached that crossroads yet? :(