I am having real probs with my dog and the girls. He is hassling them constantly. If he's not hovering round the cage , he's barking and chasing them up and down the cage. Today he got out while they were out and chased poor Tilly who clucked alot and hid under a bush refusing to come out. I have done thelead thing and let him sniff them. I have sprayed him with water and shouted loudly and I even tipped a bucket of water over his head but all to no avail! What should I do? :oops:

Hi Tracey, sorry to hear you're having problems. You could try teaching him the 'LEAVE IT' command (using something other than the chickens!) this should (everything crossed) then transfer to the chooks if you tell him to leave them.

Even then you will always have to watch him. Ours will leave them when we're there but make a nuisance of herself if she thinks we're not looking (even though she's scared of the chickens).

We have the opposite problem - the chickens won't leave the dog alone :roll:

Ive had my chickens a week now and have two dogs who now dont pay that much attention to our rabbits so didnt think wed have a problem with chickens

ha i was very wrong. our retreiver is better that he was a week ago with chickens but he has had lots of stern words aimed at him and water sprayed at him which just seems to make him more worked up, he would sit by the run and shake and chase chickens up and down the run then our other dog would join in, we still cant let him outside on his own as he still chases them up and down the run but he is easier to get away from them now, it does feel that its not going to get any easier as he seems just as interested in them now as a week ago but im sure it will, so just to let you know your not alone!! :wink: our dogs have to get bored soon!!

am am getting a bigger run tomorow rather than the ark there in now so hopefully chickens wont feel so threatend,

perhaps you could try using some mesh around the cage to stop your dog getting so close?

Keep us informed on how it goes.

Im guessing your dog is perhaps a Labrador/Retriever? If so,problem here is that they have a strong instinct to chase because they're used as gun dogs and removing this sort of deep set behaviour wont be easy.

Pushing breed aside-you're doing everything right and i honestly think perserverence is key.If you havent had the chooks very long,he will still see them as a new thing to be investigated,but should intime grow accustomed to their presence.The water pistol method is good along with shouting no in a very stern way.You should also take him to the run onlead and if he starts making a scene-shout "no" and then immedietely take him back inside house.Pull the curtains if neccessary so he cannot see you or them outside and then try again in 10 minutes or so.Same process if he makes a fuss again.

Dogs learn by association-good behaviour is rewarded and he should achknowledge this after time.When he dont make a scene-immedietely reward him with small cubes of cheese (its great for baiting dogs!).

It wont be easy,but should get better in time.

How long have you had the chooks ? it may just take a bit of time. I have a labrador x and a terrier. The first week, they were allowed to 'meet' the girls while the chooks were in their run- lots of running around and barking to begin with, by the end of the week , the chooks were ignoring them and the dogs had stopped barking. For the next two weeks, I took the dogs into the garden on their leads while the girls were free ranging, then progressed to tying up the terrier on a long lead while she was in the garden with the girls ( by this time, the lab was fine - just goes to sleep and ignores them :) ) now both dogs can go into the garden unleashed while the girls are out, the terrier is still interested ( just her breed) but does no more than follow them around for a sniff, in return , the chooks will give her a peck when they get fed up with her attentions :D

Should think yours will be ok given time.

Have a bowl of treats for the dogs, and reward them whilst you let the chickens out, they will come to associate chickens out with treats, and hopefully settle down. It will take time as everyone says.

I was lucky with my dog he was interested but my L E A V E I T in sargent major voice works a treat, it's only now when they flap in and out that the temptation to snap is almost unbearable.

He cannot understand why they are always around my feet when gardening, and if he could eat bugs he would be happy, but it does take time.

Good luck.

I have a spaniel and they have this tendency to want to chase as well, but it can be worked on, mine doesn't chase them now, she does sniff their fluffy knickers though, which doesn't please them, and they tell her off, but I feel thats acceptable.

PLenty of priase when he/she stays away from them and doesn't act in a way you dont want is a good idea. I intro'd very gradual and carefully with a lead and for short periods, then longer with longer lead etc.. it worked out ok, but every dog/situation is different.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your dog. What sort is he? Is he generally obedient to you?

I have a labrador retriever and I let the chickens settle in for a couple of days before allowing Oliver to meet them through the run. Whenever I told him to leave them alone and he responded I gave him a treat and he very soon associated the chickens with a reward, i.e. food, which was far more interesting than the chickens.

When I first let me free-range I kept him on a lead and gave him lots of praise when he ignored them. Eventually I let him off the lead and again praised him when he came to me and ignored the girls. Now he wanders amongst them and makes no attempt to chase them even when they run or fly past him.

It is just as important, if not more so, to praise the good behaviour.

I hope everything works out OK it just takes patience and time.

Oh thank you so much to you all. I feel so much better now! I thought it was just my mad dog again and that once again we would haveto get the animal behaviourist in to sort him out, you know the sort of thing black couch ,pencil and tell me all your problems. He had this coz he likes to eat stones well at first it was house bricks and he has had to be openened up four times- I did joke with the vet that if we took her ohoto and showed it to him everytime he was tempted it might scare him off, but she wasn't impressed! My dog is a spaniel he is 12 but still acts like a child in fact he thinks he is a person and totally ignores other dogs, but we love him . I will persist and I think the lead and chees are a good idea. Would also help if my kids didn't let him out unattended but I will talk sternly to them as well. As you can guess I live in a mad house , but I love my chooks they are so fab. we have had them three weeks now and they think they own the gaden and I love it that they cluck at me every morning. So apart from the beer drinking dog (from the slug traps) and the cabbage eating chickens ,I feel better now. Will keep you all posted! :)