Kel Posted June 16, 2008 Share Posted June 16, 2008 Hi! I am thinking about getting guinea pigs and an Eglus for my daughter (who is nearly 5). She really wants a pet and unfortunately she's allergic to dogs and cats so she's really desperate for guinea pigs. I just wanted some advice really. Are these good pets for little ones? And are these cages really fox proof? We do get a few foxes in our garden (we live in South East London) and my husband isn't keen on having a pet outside for that reason. I think it would be good for her to have some pets but I really don't want any in the house, especially with her allergies. What do you think? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
victoriabunny Posted June 16, 2008 Share Posted June 16, 2008 GPs are great pets for children - much better than rabbits, which don't really like being cuddled and tend to bite/kick. GPs are much more docile and easier to handle (and don't bite). I'd be wary with the allergies though - as well as the fur issue, you'll be handling hay and woodshavings, which have high allergic potential. GPs are happy indoor pets or outdoor - there are various arguments on this site about whether eglus are suitable for them all year round, or whether it's not enough protection for them in winter and a hutch/run combo is better. They are arguably best kept inside as they come from warm climates in nature (South America) and tolerate heat much better than cold. Could you visit any friends with piggies to see if it triggers her allergies? They are more fun as indoor pets as you can really interact with them (and it's much easier to look after them than in the dark and rain in winter!) I suppose the only allergy-free pets are fish and reptiles, which don't quite have the cuddle factor, do they?! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SAB Posted June 16, 2008 Share Posted June 16, 2008 I have found that sometimes it is the bedding used with small furries that can trigger my allergies rather than the animal itself - might be good idea to let her sniff and handle different types of bedding in an understanding pet shop. Animal urine can also be a trigger for some people and so absorbant bedding that is frequently cleaned can help. Good luck with it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Scooby Posted June 16, 2008 Share Posted June 16, 2008 Hi Kel I'd be wary about the allergy as I am allergic to cats and dogs and when I first got my two boys I sneezed and came out in bumps everytime I went near them. However, am pleased to say that by handling them frequently I was actually able to get over the allergy very quickly and now I'm absolutely fine with them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kel Posted June 16, 2008 Author Share Posted June 16, 2008 Thanks for all your comments, all really helpful. I'm going to take her back to the pet shop when they get the GP babies in so she can have a cuddle. We've been to various farms and that and she's been in with rabbits, stroking them without any reaction so we shall see..... I just really would like her to have a cuddly pet as she absolutely adores animals! Thank you again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kel Posted June 17, 2008 Author Share Posted June 17, 2008 Hi again! Would you say that the eglus are pretty much fox proof? That's my other concern!!! Be interested to hear your comments. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 I think that Victoriabunny has covered it all there. I am not allergic to GPs, but am slightly allergic to my bunnies. GPs do need to be kept inside int he winter though, but will be fine outside in the summer months. My buns have a rablu and love it - they are safe in it all summer on the grass and it's so easy to clean. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 We've bought a Foxwatch & it's been a great investment for safety & peace of mind. The enormous male fox that I'd seen grabbing at my chickens hasn't been around since. So, worth having one to keep the Guinlu extra safe? I think guineas are a brilliant pet for children. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sunshine Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 I had guinea pigs for about 10 years up until recently when sadly our eldest one died and we havn't got anymore. We kept them in wooden cages close to the house where it was sheltered.We kept them out all year round and just gave them lots of hay on bonfire night(for the fireworks) and during the winter and they always seemed fine kept outside.During the summer they had runs on the grass which they stayed in all day when the weather allowed it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
piggles Posted June 22, 2008 Share Posted June 22, 2008 Hi. Don't know if you are still thinking of getting guinea pigs, but we are in south-west London and have two very cute baby males to give away to a good home. If you are interested let me know here and I can give you an e-mail address. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tilly Bud Posted July 6, 2008 Share Posted July 6, 2008 The Eglu is so safe and secure! I don't think anything could ever get into it! I got my first guinea pigs when i was 5, i'm 21 now and i've never lived without them! They are fantastic pets for kids. They're so gentle, placid and live just the right amount of time. I'd recommend posting a message on here to see if there's anyone in your area who has one (a chiken one, rabbit one or a guinea one) who'd let you pop round to see it. I'm going to 3 houses in my area next week to get some ideas about an extended run for my chickens. Everyone i've spoken to is really lovely! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
karenrgpr Posted July 7, 2008 Share Posted July 7, 2008 As well allergy to guineas make sure she isn't allergic to hay, a lot of people find that its actually the hay not the guins that they're allergic to- and no hay no guineas i'm afraid Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
frenchlayer Posted August 7, 2008 Share Posted August 7, 2008 I find that if you handle them and keep my hands away from my eyes I am fine, and that you will actually build up resistance to them over time. Having had guinea pigs when I was youngish 10+, I have just got 3 for my dd who is 9. We also have a 5 year old. I find that he just moves too fast for them, but dd is much calmer and can sit and wait for them to move a bit. So it depends on what type of child your daughter is. If she is a flying bomb then you probably should be on the chicken forum instead, they are much more bomb proof, but if she is the calm gentle type then piggies may be ok. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...