kids-cats-chicks

is it worms or something serious?veryworried

hi,have been looking at this site for a few months but i have just registered as i am very worried about one of my chickens,i have had them since last wednesday (11th),3 gingernut rangers, they have been fine with there eating ,drinking, few runny poos (which i read as them having a clear out every 10th poo, we let them out yesterday for first time(we was in the garden the wholetime, they seemed to love it sunbathing,eating grass etc. but today i noticed one of them ROSIE is quiet and wasn't that bothered about coming out of the pen, i haven't seen her eat any pellets today and when i tried her with mealworms she turned her beak up at them,i have seen her drink some water though, she has always been the one that has been the most sleepy and hasn't yet took herself off to bed,we left her till 11.00pm and she was still sitting on the perch,but i like my girls locked in (wouldn't be able to sleep at night otherwise), her comb is small and pale pink,bit lopsided (omlet man said she may start laying in 3 weeks or so), so i don't think she is eggbound,but her face is more pink/red than the other two.

do you think it is wise for them to be wormed and if so whats the best wormer i can give them.she is sitting on the perch ,she keeps fluffing up her feathers, we have checked here for mite etc,all ok, her vent is clean but she has just done a runny pale yellow-cream poo,not seen one of those before ,keeps wanting to go to sleep, other 2 are fine,alert etc.

when i hand feed them the pellets, it looks as if rosie takes none, do you think she would prefer mash instead,felt her crop and all we can feel is there bone, no hard lumps.

sorry this is a bit long and it maybe that someone else has had query about this, but i am so worried.hope someone can help

Hmmmm......she sounds poorly.

I imagine that it is fairly unlikely to be worms at this early stage. If she is an Omlet hen, tests are done on the faeces and treatment given if necessary. I wouldn't rule it out though.

It could be that she is working up to laying a soft egg which can make them ill rather in the way that you describe , although with her comb still being pink perhaps it is still a little early for that.

Why not try mixing some pellets with water to a sloppy porridge and see if she will be tempted to eat that.

Try to make sure that she keeps drinking, and if she is no better tomorrow, I would have a word with the vet.

many thanks for both replies, will get some flubenvet(think thats how to spell it),have tried pellets mixed with water,took no notice,

i am keeping an eye on her, she also shakes her head (i think she does this when i call her name),

rang our vet up but they don't know much about chickens,so they gave us another number, will see how she is tomorrow.will be a worrying night,

my husband said if she is happy to sleep out on the perch tonight then leave her outside,to save stressing her out,as the other two girls put themself to bed,i'm not sure though, omlet man said they would be ok if left out in the homemade run.

i have just looked in on her and she is still on perch but standing up and having a little look around, other two girls are staying close by her

.picture of chicks and run to be added later on by my hubbybut too worried about rosie at the moment.

do you think it was something see ate as i saw her eating a worm,lettuce ,grass yesterday,plus her usual treats off a few sultanas and a couple of meal worms(dried)

Worms, lettuce, grass, sultanas, mealworms, and things she's had before don't sound like a problem. Chickens have generally very strong digestive systems: the eat all sorts!

Given her age it could be a pre-egg thing. Has she started crouching when you go near her? Not going in the eglu sounds like a red mite issue, but if the others aren't bothered is less likely. Do check the crevices and ends of roosting bars - you wont see red mites on the chickens themselves.

Lots of vets don't know much about chickens, but you can ring http://www.wernlas.com/ for advice. We've been recommended to put cider vinegar in their water if one is under the weather: a good all-round chicken tonic.

Let us know how she is tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Good advice already given above. Turning pellets into a mushy grainy porridge by just adding warm water is a good idea to try and get her to eat.

Do ring Omlet and inform them that she is poorly. It might just be a soft egg coming but Omlet should know just in case others report simiar from the same batch.

went to seerosie at 10pm last night ,gave her a cuddle and noticedher crop was a bit big, so massaged it and tried some olive oil, in water, she only hasd a tiny bit as only got a spoon) let left her in peace

rosie seems to be abit better today, left her outside in the run last night as she was happy on her high perch that she goes to when its dark(she hasn't took herself to bed in the eglu yet,we have been picking her up and putting her in at night - should she be going in by herself, the other two do)

she has always been the quiet one from day one, the other two seem to stick together more.

been in this morning about 6am, she took a bit of food from my hand, also been picking at things from floor and she has had a dustbath.

i put powder in dustbath for mite, do you think i should red mite powder the chickens and the eglu (we have got plastic roosting bars),

also her tail has been up this morning, yesterday afternoon was down and she came to me when called her name

feel a bit better but will keep a close eye on her today, off to shops to buy some cider vinegar,honey and probotic yoghurt.

thanks again for all your replies,

thanks for that, theres so much info to take in.crop normal now

just come back frm the shops and let the girls out, they loved it even though was raining a bit,

rosie ate some probotic yog mixed with pellets , and has also had a little treat of dried mealworms which she ran down the garden for :D , so thats a big improvement from yesterday afternoon when she turned her beak up.

also more alert, really hope she goes to bed tonight in the eglu as i don't think i can let her say out on her branch tonight (got no sleep, up at 3.45am to check on her). i thought that chickens were supposed to go to bed when dusk, we have been leaving her out till 11pm to see if she goes by herself,but no she doesn't

don't really know what was the matter with her, but so glad she is better today

anyway must now get some housework done before picking kids up :dance: