Ms Tilytinkle Posted June 20, 2008 Share Posted June 20, 2008 Gooood Morning, I am unsure how i have missed this information Please will anyone tell me why i mustn't rinse my eggs, and what the rules & regs are. I rinse away blood speckles with cold water daily, as one of our chickens always lays a totally blood speckled egg . She lays well & is happy & healthy. doesnt sound distressed at laying etc etc Many Thanks Ms Tillyhopestheres"Ooops, word censored!"loodspecklestodayonAgnes'segg,nonewhatsoever. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted June 20, 2008 Share Posted June 20, 2008 Hi there Ms T From what I have read, I believe the egg is coated with a substance that keeps bacteria out of the egg. If you wash the egg you not only remove the coating but also can cause bugs to be pushed through the pores in the eggshell (that allow the chick to breathe), so contaminating the egg. I read that if there is poo etc on the egg, you should brush it off not wash it. Re the bloody egg though, I don't know. I suppose the antibacterial coating must be under the blood so I think I would just let it dry and then try to brush if off, or just leave it. Hope this helps LoveyoursignoffMsTillybytheway (surprising how hard it is to type without putting the spaces in between the words!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ms Tilytinkle Posted June 20, 2008 Author Share Posted June 20, 2008 Thank you, oh dear wont do that anymore then. Funnily enough i did think they didnt ned rinsng but thought i'd better for the safety aspect of giving them to others. Whoooooops. Will keep bloody ones ( speckled eggs for us. Anyone suggest anything , or if the speckled eggs are okay to eat? Many Thanks 'lay a little egg for me'. Ms Tillysayshopeyouhavethemostwonderfuldayfullofsurpisesandlaughter Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 20, 2008 Share Posted June 20, 2008 Hi Ms Tilly, your eggs are fine to eat if left to dry naturally and any 'deposits' brushed off. The blood spots are fine to leave as well. LALEFM is correct, wetting the egg allows bacteria to migrate through the shell and contaminate the innerds. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mutrix Farmers Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 Well I never did! I'll stop washing mine immediately! Thanks Mrs T and Snowy. More excellent Omleteer advice Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 I wouldn't bother - unless you eat the shells! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...