peepie

Worms and crops query

What would worms look like? I have noticed a few odd poohs on and off since we got our hens. Occasionally they do some almost frothy orange ones but I never see them in the eglu dropping tray. If they had worms, would I actually see wriggly things ( I have been looking :oops: ) I've ordered some flubenvet but just had a call from the place saying it's going to be delayed until at least Wednesday so I wondered if I needed any more urgently.

One of ours is trying her best to recover from sour crop and is still pretty miserable. I have now been feeling the other 2 (who both seem fine) one has quite a firm but squishy crop - obviously full of gungy food. The other has a really lumpy bulge. I can squish it a bit but it feels quite gritty almost like one of those worry balls with beans in it. The poorly one doesn't feel to have anything there at all, but she has been pecking round a bit today so hopefully she'll start to fill it up again tomorrow.

What should a "normal" crop feel like?

Thanks

xx

Oh dear Peepie, you are having a bit of a time of it.

I have read that orange, frothy poos can be a sign of worms. However, they do produce curry sauce type poos, about one in every ten, which is normal but usually not frothy.

It's a shame they haven't managed to deliver your flubenvet yet. My offer still stands if you want me to post some.

As for crops - I don't really know what a normal one feels like. I look at my girls in the evening and note that they have filled crops - some bigger than others - and by the morning they are flat again.

I also think it depends what they eat as to how the crop will feel. I'm sure if they eat a lot of mixed corn then the crop will feel gritty.

I think your description of "firm but squishy" probably describes a normal crop quite well.

I would perhaps worm them on the info you have given. I wormed mine as laying was off with one but normal poos.

She had worms, oh she had worms. :vom:

They are a pair of freeranging dustbins so I am prob going to just do mine as a matter of course now.