calinz

Chicken poo & run management - help please!

Hi there, wondering what to do run wise - originally we thought we would move the eglu around the garden and let my 2 girlies free range around the whole of the garden but i am amazed at the volume of poo!!

we've got 2 little ones too who play in the garden so now thinking about fencing off one side and leaving the eglu in a permanent position within it - was going to use bark chippings in the eglu run (as advised in our omlet leaflet) but wondering now whether to use auboise instead.

at the mo my chooks are confined to just their run while we put 6 foot lattice fencing up, they jumped onto the 4 foot high one!! so any other tips of how to get poo off grass would be gratefully received!

thank you so much, this forum is such a great idea, though with chook watching during the day, and forum reading at night, i'm not getting much else done!!

I have my Eglus on paving slabs in a fenced off area.

I top the slabs with Aubiose, and jet wash it off every few weeks. The poo and the Aubiose vanish into the ground.

Every so often I sprinkle garden lime around to sweeten the ground up a bit.

I find this works well for me.

Thanks thats great! not really sure what aubiose is but have seen on forum lot of people use it, just another thought, would it be possible to put aubiose on top of grass? maybe if i put log border around to keep in place? x

you can put aubiose on top of grass ... the grass will soon be scratched up anyway! Log roll, plastic lawn-edging secured with cable ties, these are just two ways to keep the aubiose from being kicked everywhere.

Re getting the poo off the grass, you may find the recent rain has sorted that for you! Otherwise, a quick blast with the hose will do it - or if it's dry (ha ha) you may find just raking it will clear it.

We use bark. I've built a frame with weed supressing membrane attached to it and it fits inside the Egglu run. It takes less than one bag of bark which I rake every couple of days. The bark needs to be replaced after about 6 weeks, then it goes on the compost heap and is the most fantastic stuff.

As for jumping 4 feet, have they had their wings clipped? It's easy enough & painless to do. My chichens can get up onto my knee if I'm sitting down, but no higher.

Hope the eggs come soon!

Rog

We use bark. I've built a frame with weed supressing membrane attached to it and it fits inside the Egglu run. It takes less than one bag of bark which I rake every couple of days. The bark needs to be replaced after about 6 weeks, then it goes on the compost heap and is the most fantastic stuff.

As for jumping 4 feet, have they had their wings clipped? It's easy enough & painless to do. My chichens can get up onto my knee if I'm sitting down, but no higher.

Hope the eggs come soon!

Rog

Thanks for that! yes we clipped a wing of each straight away, but there was actually an old tree stump in front of fence so it was more like 2 big hops and there they were, on our decking fencing staring into our sun room!! bless 'em!

ohh, another lincolnshire forum member - how exciting! :D

we have a permanent walk in run, and put down easibed (similar to auboise i think) inside it. the floor is just earth underneath that, but i wish we had slabbed it as the chickens dig through the bedding and down into the mud underneath resulting in a right old mess :roll: also, slabs prevent anything digging in, and can be hosed down..

OH is currently refusing to do any more upgrading to the chicken accomodation though!! :evil:

ohh, another lincolnshire forum member - how exciting! :D

we have a permanent walk in run, and put down easibed (similar to auboise i think) inside it. the floor is just earth underneath that, but i wish we had slabbed it as the chickens dig through the bedding and down into the mud underneath resulting in a right old mess :roll: also, slabs prevent anything digging in, and can be hosed down..

OH is currently refusing to do any more upgrading to the chicken accomodation though!! :evil:

Thanks C61! Very helpful, i've actually gone with bark for the time being in the run, over the remains of a grass patch, they've made some great dustbath holes in it which they sometimes snuggle into, so cute! And getting a trellisy sort of fence going up around one side of the garden on sat so that they can free range - so excited for them having all that space and grass to eat!

Thanks everyone for comments, so good to know there's people out there to help - i'm such a beginner!

ps we have had our first egg!!!!!