Woody Creek Chick

disabled chook!

We've got a young bird not feeling well and need advice. Started with trying to introduce our new girls to our old girls. We had a chicken fight in the yard and broke it up without too much damage (I thought). My girl Frannie is not doing well at all. Everything was ok and then we left for four days and left my dad in charge of the girls and he is beside himself with guilt. Frannie seemed okay just a little limp which we had thought would mend with some TLC. I had been keeping a watchful eye on her and she seemed to be very well before we left. Out walking around, eating drinking going up the ramp to bed etc. But my dad gave me the news at the airport when we got home tonight. Immediately I thought she was dead. But she raised her head up when I came over. I removed her from the run and brought her inside with low heating pad and dabbed water with vitamins onto her beak and she's drinking it. I wet some of her food down and she's eating wen she's not sleeping. She almost looks as if she's having a seizure. She's running but on her side. I read about the lameness and the calcium problems so I gave her some oyster shell which she has nibbled on but she's not doing well. Please help! Any one have any ideas. It's too late to take her to the vet here in the states. Any emergency chicken therapies out there? Is it possible for epilepsy in chooks?

Lee

Sorry, can't offer a lot of advice - do you think she might have had a stroke?

Best thing is to keep her warm and make sure she is hydrated, and get her to a vet as soon as you can (these things always happen at the wrong time, don't they). If she's eating and drinking then you shouldn't need to do anything more.

Fingers crossed that it can be sorted out.