Martin B

Do you own Guinea Pigs?

Do you own Guinea Pigs?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own Guinea Pigs?

• Yes
    • No

Wow all these G-pig owners....brilliant

Has anyone found anything plant wise that has upset the pigs tummies or worse finished them off!!

the only reason i ask is that as ours free range they do like to nibble this and that :roll: ...i have made sure they can't access anything i know is nasty and i have checked out web sites but they all seem cautious of everything :shock: ...the thing they seem to be loving at the mo is clematis petals :roll: .....iv'e been keeping an eye on them and they seem fine.

:D Martin, I'm a nosy Guinea pig owner, so have voted yes!

Bunee, the only thing I'm really careful about is buttercups, the leaves. We use a small portable run, & I always pull up any that are within the run.

This might be harder if you have many on your lawn, so I hope you don't!

Mind you, I don't know if guinea would try & eat them, or avoid them, but I won't risk it, I know they're very harmful.

:D Yes, I had another think, and although some other plants are poisonous (foxgloves, ground ivy & others) I felt the buttercup leaves were more likely to be eaten by mistake if they are hidden in a lawn.

There are a couple of things that are OK, but only a little bit occasionally; lettuce; too much = diarrhoea

apples, too much == mouth ulcers

:lol: I bought 2 guinea pigs for my 2 boys (well, me really :oops: ) when they were little.

When Tramp died of old age, we bought 3 young females (one for each of the 3 children, to keep Lady company.

So, we had a long haired Scruffy, and 2 albinos Snowy & Lullaby.

Well, Lullaby grew much fatter in the next month, and had 4 babies! I saw them just newborn, fitted in the palm of my hand. Rocky, Jube (Jubilation), Houdini and Flash. So, we had 7 Guineas!

Well, the years went by, and I eventually had 4 children and only 1 guinea pig left (they lived about 7 yrs average).

My youngest daughter was playgroup age and really wanted another pet. OK, I really wanted a guinea pig, & pretended it was her!

So, 7 yrs later, Boo Boo is the sole survivor, & I've enjoyed many years of guineas. :D

Hi sheila...Yes i had heard of the buttercup one....lucky for them they only grow in the border they can't get in...but annoying for me as they take over :( ...i'm not a big pet fanatic but i have to say i enjoy their company very much and they don't answer back ...often :D