Troy

Gwen ....

Has an old peck to the side of her cheek that has become a massive round lump that takes up virtually the whole side of her face. The peck has scabbed over and I have been washing this daily with salt water and then put an anti bac. cream on it. She has just finished a course of Baytril and an anti-inflam but nothing seems to work :(

I cant think of anything else I can do and this has really gotten me down now. It is definately affecting her vision on that side as the swelling goes beyond her eye now.

I did speak to Thornes Frank and he said I had to pick the scab off as there is an abssess under it, but the lump is rock hard and her face so small!

Has anyone else had a swelling like this and is it usual for them to get so large and growth like.???? What should i do?

Can anyone pls advise as I am on unfamiliar ground here ..she is such a lovely girl and even laid her little egg this morning. She is still eating but not much.

Troy

One of ours girls had a the run door wack her in the face one really windy day and she had a huge lump come up. We took her to the vets and she was fine after some antibiotics although the lump stayed for a couple of months. She is now right as rain, so I would suggest a trip to the vets, some hens can't fight infections as well as others and so its best to get professional advice I think.

Good luck

Gwen and I took a trip up to Thornes Poultry and was kindly seen by Frank this afternoon. He was totally taken in by her in just 5 minutes so at least I know its not just me that Gwen makes all gooey.

Its def. a trip to my vets on Monday am as he confirmed that the injury does need to be opened...yuk and he also had a look at her leg since she injured that too when she was broody. :shock:

Thankfully that will be ok and there is definately no break.

Wow this is all exhausting and I'm sure its not the end of it all, but she is a strong girl and putting up a fight. Which by the way is just as well as I dont think I can listen to the kids crying anymore!!!

Our Gwen is proving to be VERY expensive!

Thank you all, will update on Monday after the vet.

Wish us luck.

Troy

Ive just posted a question re Mareks disease.

Gwen is going down to the vets now to be put to sleep....and yet there is a little shadow of doubt as to whether this really is the right option :(

What with Frank at Thornes and 2 different vets and Gwens breeder ALL coming up with a different diagnosis, different treatments etc etc etc my blooming head is spinning-and poor Gwen remains the same :(

To those that have listened to the reasons she is limping and why she has an abscess on her face...Ive been told to do this and do that. However, one vet has suggested Mareks and the breeder has said no way!

Gwen according to him needs Tylan (not reg. for chickens) by injection which will reduce the swelling and fight the infection. The other vet has said 10 days Baytril (shes just done 10) and do nothing...I have given up...

at the end of the day Gwen is still limping the abscess is blocking her eye and its certainly causing her some discomfort.

Is it time folks....

Troy

Troy, so sorry to hear about Gwen.

I am a veterinary surgeon albeit newly retired and more newly in to chickens.

It may be that poor Gwen's condition doesn't have a label.It could be that with intensive investigation at the onset of symptoms the nature of the problem could have been discovered. Poultry vets deal with large flock problems which often do not pertain to garden pet hens. The rest of us, while trying to diagnose a problem along the line of cats and dogs with reference to bird anatomy, have to muddle along. Gwen may have a tumour. It doesn't have to be Mareks,why should it be? it may just be a tumour just like cats and dogs get.

The thing to remember is that we, vets and owners alike, should be kind and let go when things are hopeless.

Such a pity that you have had so much conflicting advice and "Ooops, word censored!"ody had the courage to tell you to call it a day.

My lovely Gwen has gone.

She looked so well whilst chatting to the nurse holding her about the vets new shiny earings and boy does that throw you...

However, once we weighed her, we found that she had lost 25pcnt of her bodyweight since last week and all that golden plumage and feathering was hiding a different story. :(

Once she was put to sleep we discovered a massive tumour a little ways under her wing that was as much internal as external. All in all about the size of a small rubber ball.

It was then such a relief that we FINALLY found out what was troubling our Gwen. No more guessing or wondering and I'm glad for her sake that its all over.

She will be missed by Lilly and Molly her 2 Pekin pals who prefered to sleep on the run floor snuggled around her whilst she was in the crate and

I for one will sorely miss her crooning and purring on my lap and that lovely plump golden bottom sprouting up from my green lawn. :(

Good night Gwen

Troy

:(