Marshy

Poorly eye

I have just become the proud owner of two hybrid POL Chickens. unfortunatley one of them has a poorly eye, It is closed most of the time,and looks puffed up and sore, I suspect it has been caused by creosote substitute which I used in the timber ark I made ( I have now re-housed the chickens in an Eglu) I think the chicken may have had some creosote on it,s feet that hadn't dried properly and then transfered it to it's eye. I have been advised to bathe the eye with saline solution, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I have also read on the forum that bathing the eye with tea may help.I would be gratefull for any advice.

Oh heck, poor little girl.

Is she any better now? :?

If not, a trip to the vet might be needed as if its irritating her and she keeps scratching it, it could become infected and a short course of antibiotics may be needed.

Keep up with the bathing but if there is no improvement then the vet is needed.

Just posted an update on my chook with a swollen and puffy eye.

The vet thought that Mildred she had scratched her eye which then developed into a conjunctavitis type infection. She had an antibiotic jab of Oxytetracylcine (spl?) on Tuesday and she is now absolutely fine.

Nicola

Edited by Guest