Joanne

Not eating pellets

One of my chickens became lame after only a few days....long story but she`s fine now. She was on anti biotics from vet for around 10 days so I was feeding her (and her friend) layers pellets soaked in pro biotic yogurt, to keep her tummy balance in order and stop diarrhoea. Worked really well............

Perhaps TOO well, because now they don`t want to eat the pellets unless they are soaked in yogurt, or at a push, water, but yogurt is favourite (strawberry if possible).

If I just stop giving it, (and this is going to sound daft) :oops: but do you think they will eventually get back onto the pellets, they don`t touch them and just pace up and down the run waiting for me to bring the yogurt mixture!! They learn pretty fast, and have me well trained!!!! :roll:

Anyone else been trained by their chooks :wink:

:lol: They are very good at training us! Mine know exactly where the treats are kept, what time they are usually forthcoming and woe betide if I'm late! :D It probably won't do them any harm to have a small treat of the yoghurt soaked pellets each day, but make sure it is only a taster and leave them a good supply of normal pellets. Hopefully they will soon realise that the yoghurt is not the only thing they can eat! Also, are they laying yet? If not, they probably won't eat much anyway. Once they come into lay they will hoover up anything that stands still :D

Hmmm, good idea to try and wean off I think. One is laying, the other still isn`t.

This morning I decided not give the yogurt mix and the poor things paced up and down the run, eventually had some pellets, but mainly threw them all over the place! :evil:

I held my nerve for about an hour and then relented and gave them pellets in yogurt :oops: But added less yogurt :?

My other half reckons it doesn`t really matter because they are getting all the pellets and the goodness of them, as well as a bit of yogurt.

Anyway, they seem to be thriving and we have had an egg every day from Daisy and Maisy has started making 'crouching' moves, so hopefully will start soon :pray: