Sheilaz

Celery.

We've only grown it once .Haven't bothered since as it was a bit of a chore :? ,unlike other veggies and fruits. Once the stems start to grow you need to wrap them in brown paper(or newspaper) to keep it dark.This also encourages it to grow tall and straight before the leaves start to sprout.

Hope this helps. :lol:

:?::?::? I can't get my details back up. The last reply was from Emma(that's me) but lost my avatar and details. HELP :!::!: Whenever I type Emma into the username it says there is already someone with that name but that was me anyway. Where have I gone :?:

Thanks for replying Emma, I wa just beginning to think that "Ooops, word censored!"ody else knew what to do with celery either. Oh dear, does sound a bit of a bind, but thanks for the brown paper tip, I had no idea. :shock:

Very glad that you sorted out the log in, & that your avatar is still intact! 8)

Thanks Jane, that sounds much easier & I'll let visitors assume that I'm growing my own loo paper now, they won't be surprised.

I've learnt so much on this forum, thanks Jane & Emma, I was goimg off the idea but now I'm inspired again. :D

:?:?:shock::shock: But I've never grown potatoes! Do you mean everything underground except top leaves? I'm a bit confused now...I've only got 2ins of plant here & I'm not sure why I started it, not having a clue what I'm doing! :wink: Well, I like eating it was the reason, but I had told myself to only grow easy things. :roll:

The slugs are eating the rhubarb leaves now. I might be on late night duty with torch tonight! :roll:

If you want really easy celery - don't bother with any covering or earthing. It is just done to keep the celery stalks white(ish). I can assure you from personal experience that green celery, grown naked, tastes just as delicious. If you want to keep them growing in pots rather than planting them out then naked might be easiest. You'll probably need to repot into larger pots soon - the plants can grow quite bit - what you get in the supermarket is just the pretty inside bit. The less pretty outside bits are great in a sausage casserole with onions and cider - just slice the celery and bung it in :D

ps - they like lots of watering esp if in a pot.

Jane's got it pretty well covered there Sheila. Earthing up is when you use a hoe to pull soil from either side of the plant to cover the stems. It makes a ridge along the row of plants which makes the celery blanched (paler) and leaves a ridge which helps with watering.I think most modern types of celery don't need blanching so I'd just plant it, keep watering it and it's got two choices :?:lol:

The less pretty outside bits are great in a sausage casserole with onions and cider - just slice the celery and bung it in :D

Good idea! I often make "you know what" casserole & sneak tons of veg in that family didn't know they liked! (& therefore don't know they've eaten :wink: )

Especially celery, although Esther & I like it raw too.

Looking at the spindly stalks I have, I can't imagine anything looking less like celery sticks. But I'll plant & water lots, & feed with poo soup, & let you know!

Many thanks everyone for help on this. Now its got to work! :D