Colehouse

Can anyone advise on lame hen?

Our three hens have roamed the back yard for 18 months now, tucking up safe and sound in their Eglu each night. Milly, a Pepperpot, and has been top hen… up until now:

A few days ago she was sitting in an uncharacteristic position and when she got up it was clear something was wrong. She could not put her left foot on the ground. Now, we knew she had had a bulge on one toe for several months and it had not caused her any problems. On examining this it was swollen and there was a small incision on the bulge, showing blood. The foot also felt a bit warmer than normal.

The next day we took her to the vet who said the bulge was not unusual (bumble foot she called it) but there could be an infection caused by something like a thorn. She also said that as Milly lacked proper movement in her whole foot, and she appeared a little underweight, there might be something else going on and mentioned "viral tumours on the nerve". She gave us some antibiotics.

We moved Milly into the kitchen because obviously the other two (Molly and Mandy) were not going to be sympathetic. Here she was content to sit in a box and shuffle out a little bit.

We are now on day five. Milly has had the antibiotic dose twice daily - the course is due to continue for a little longer at a lower dose. The swelling has gone done and the "fever" has subsided although she is still panting a little. She has never lost her appetite, being happy to be handfed initially and now feeds heartily from a bowl in front of her. She has also laid an egg every day. For the first couple of days she shuffled a short way on one leg and one wing. She will now put down the non-functioning foot and it will very very briefly take her weight while she limps a few steps.

The question is - what should we do with her? Our prediction is that she will live - surely she would have succumbed by now if she was going to? - but will not regain the use of her foot - something the vet suggested might happen. The angle of the whole foot looks all wrong - it seems limp and has no grasp and it can't support any weight.

Can she survive like this? Can she live with other hens? Does any of this match anyone else's experience or provoke any helpful thoughts?

many thanks

Sorry to hear about poor Milly (I have a Milly and a Molly too!). Glad to read that the treatment seems to be improving her foot.

I've no experience of a lame hen, I'm afraid, but I'm sure I read about someone the other day who had a lame hen who was managing fine and another forum member who had a hen with an amputated foot who managed to hop around quite happily.

Hopefully someone with experience will be along shortly!

There was a case earlier this year in Worcester (on the news) of a chicken that got cancer and actually had to have her leg removed, but still hopped about with the others on one leg quite happily.

I guess the issue will be is she in pain? and what is her quality of life?

Tracy

My bluebelle developed a limp

Wha happened was like yours it got progressively worse, she had anti biotics and two vet trips, but the anti biotics did nothing, the vet said they didnt think it was neurological, xrayed and no traces of lead in the system.

I know its hard to hear but in the end we decided to have her put to sleep. It was hard because she was healthy in herself but she could no longer walk, and it was upsetting seeing her like that as chickens should be free to bustle around the garden!