Katy

Help - Urgent Flubenvet advice please!

Apologies, I think I've posted this twice, but I'm not sure as everything looks a bit different.

I'd already ordered some Flubenvet before Blackie got sick at the weekend, and it's arrived today. OH went and collected it from the Post Office and has taken it upon himself to give some to the girls before I got home.

Trouble is I think he has massivly overdosed them in his complete panic and desperation to do something that might make Blackie well again.

He has given them each some in a grape AND put it in the feed AND the grit, and it appears to be scattered around the run and garden (Ginger knocked the spoon out of his hand!). He says less than a teaspoon in total, but I'm not convinced - it looks far more than that.

I've taken the food and grit out and replaced them with fresh, and the rain will wash the rest away.

My very rough calculations come up with 0.3 grams a day for two birds as correct(?), and I think they have had the opportunity to consume about 5g between them just this afternoon!

Any idea what the worst case scenario is? Should we (by that I mean me) continue to dose them correctly for the remaining 6 days or not?

dont panic! :wink:

I think you have to seriously overdose on flubenvet to have any adverse affects. Its good that you have changed the food/spotted OH's mistake though.

I use the grape method for my chickens, i've never measured out exactly what each hen needs, I just put the flubenvet on the tip of a knife and put it inside the grape (roughly the size of a 1 pence piece per chicken), i believe there is a photo of some flubenvet next to a 1 penny piece somewhere on the forum which gives you an idea. :)

Thanks Chelsea, I was hoping it wasn't too serious!

I'm so cross with OH, but trying not to show it as I know he was in a panic and had the best of intentions. Why oh why do men refuse to read instructions!

On the plus side Blackie has eaten 3 grapes and drank a bit of water this evening so I am hopeful she is starting to feel better.

Sounds like your OH was trying his best to help.

Flubenvet doesn't normally have any egg withdrawal. But I think if you double dose (or overdose) you should not eat the eggs for a while.

If it helps for a one week dose for 4 chickens I use 1 level teaspoon (=5ml). So you would need half that for 2 chickens.

OOps

think i too just overdosed my girls on flubenvet too, put a rather large pinch on two grapes, supposed to be 1 each!!, but i got mobbed! :roll: and one had both grapes :oops:

having just looked back at dosing instructions on here i think i may have put too much on each grape so that totalled with one having both the grapes think one has had to much and ive now got bit of a panick on.

Were your girls ok katie? has anyone else done this?