Steve.

Blood on First Egg from Wilma Pepperpot

Hi Folks,

Wilma laid her first egg today (the lazy hen) and after an hour and a half in the nesting box decided enough was enough and to pop outside for a drink at which point she must have finished dropping it.

On retrieving the egg, washing off the mud and poo with warm water and drying, I noticed there was a dozen or so spots of dried blood.

The egg is a torpedo shaped - Geradine who is half Wilma's size does fatter eggs ...

Anyway - is the Egg safe to eat, and importantly has Wilma done herself a mischief?

Wilma has spent the rest of today preening herself ...

(Betty is now in the hen house, this could be our first 4-Egg-Day)

Anything we should look out for, for Wilma. She seems more active now than she has done previously ... as head chook she was a loner.

Thanks!

Pretty sure it should be fine to eat, not too sure about washing eggs though, I've heard it washes in the germs through the pores of the egg. Im no eggspert though :lol:

Thanks.

It was already wet from being in the run .... which is currently a mud bath .... poor chickens!

Hi Steve

Are you sure its dried blood?

My pepperpot lays lovely brown eggs with little red speckles all over it.

I made sure it wasnt red spider mite or anything nasty like that and she consistantly lays them with the red speckles. :D

Or did they smear when you washed them?

Also as Stoice said its not a good idea to wash them.

Before I use them I dry brush them if they are a bit dirty but I dont do this until I use them or give them a quick wipe with a damp cloth.

Kind Regards