HENthusiastic

Henrietta's got no tail!

HI.

Henrietta Hen has started loosing her feathers.

She has recently come out of a broody stint of about 6 weeks during which time she lost weight. All during her broody she was doing lots of dust bathing when I threw her off the nest. The dustbath has redmite powder in.

Her feathers started falling out 3 days ago. There is a noticable amount in the hen house when I open it in the mornings. When I picked her up briefly the other day, as I let go and she flew/flapped off, a cloud of feathers went into the air.

She has now lost all of her tail feathers :( .

Could she just be loosing feathers because her weight is so low? (LIke a tree looses leaves to conserve energy? :? ) I have been trying to feed her up with mealworms. The others are showing no signs of anything and I have checked the house for mites (although not given her a full check as she hates being handled, only just managed to get hold of her the other day as she had escaped and I had to get her back into the right area.

There are no bald patches. She is just looking scruffy. She was pol when I got her so I guess she's now about 11 months.

Apart from that she seems happy healthy bright and alert.

Any advice greatfully received.