ali-s Posted August 31, 2008 Share Posted August 31, 2008 I am finding my new Hybrids are not as sweet natured as my Bantams towards me. If they are out of their run and I am in the garden they charge towards me, neck feathers sticking up and peck which is sore. I am actually more than a little scared of them Yesterday Big Bertha gave me a nasty peck on my bare leg which left a mark Later on she did it again, thankfully I had changed into jeans as she was vicious and actually had my jeans in her beak Will she calm down once she comes into lay? Amber and Lily are now laying and although they charge me they do back off when I make a loud noise. Tufty is slightly better than Bertha but not much. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mrsallen08 Posted August 31, 2008 Share Posted August 31, 2008 Don't worry my originals were mean too! I dont think they mean it! Just a bit curous why you are in 'their space'. I would definately advise against flip flops, and yes i speak from experience! If they are not put off by noise, have you tried water? I know Egluntine punishes any pecking at each other by a blast from the hose. May be if you had a water pistol with you when you go in next they would learn to not peck at you. I fear it may be a slow learning curve with your 'northern bullies!' Good luck! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted August 31, 2008 Share Posted August 31, 2008 They breed em' tough Oop North! I'm sure they will settle down when they come into lay. A blast with a hosepipe might sort them out. One of my girls did this a couple of times. A gentle nudge with the toe of my boot retrained her. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ali-s Posted August 31, 2008 Author Share Posted August 31, 2008 They breed em' tough Oop North! . Or even down South We don't have an outside tap yet so no hosepipe. I will have to look in ths sheds to see if we have an old waterpistol. I was fending them off yesterday with my string mop Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angels4 Posted August 31, 2008 Share Posted August 31, 2008 I was fending them off yesterday with my string mop That I would like to see. I use my rake. Did you get pictures? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted August 31, 2008 Share Posted August 31, 2008 Of course! Yorkshire is "down south" to you! :D Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ali-s Posted August 31, 2008 Author Share Posted August 31, 2008 [ That I would like to see. I use my rake. Did you get pictures? Sorry, no pictures. The naughty girls are staying the run today as I need to get out in the garden and destroy some more weeds. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...