Bondinho

Scaley leg??

Hi,

I'm a bit unsure on whether my poland has scaley leg mite. It looks like the ankle joint is bigger on one leg than the other but there is nothing coming out from the scales like some other posts say there should be if mite are there. But some scales do look like they are slightly raised off the leg?

But again, she is absolutely fine in herself, still laying eggs every day, no limping, no discomfort from leg at all. I've got some photos below but for some reason I can't get a great picture of it.

Can any of you tell from the photos below if you think she has it? Do you agree that one ankle joint looks bigger than the other?? Or am I just being paranoid...

Thanks guys!

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

one of my birds has just started to develop scaly leg mite on one foot, so i brought a bottle of 'johnsons scaly lotion' from this website http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/henhouse/Scaly_Lotion_15ml.html. you put 5-10 drops straight onto the leg and rub vaseline over the infected area after, to stop the leg getting dirty and to cut off the air supply to the mites, this is what the man said anyway and it seems to be working. do it evry day or evry other day and it should clear up.

Not easy to tell from the photos, but if they have mites, then there will be a crusty exude under the leg scales.

Spray with Johnsons mite spray and dose the bird with Ivomectin **neither of these products are licenced for use on poultry in the UK* Works wonders.

Please note that the scales will remain raised after the mites have gone, and will moult off when the bird next moults. Do not pull any damaged scales off.