broni.jones

what type of vegies can i plant this time of year?

hi,

my boyfriend and i have escaped our horrid flat & now have a garden! after a few months of painting the inside, we now have time for the garden! it's our first garden together :P what veggies could we plant around this time of year. we also have very acrobatic chickens, netting didn't stop them from killing my lavender. any ideas for defending my plants?

cheers

There was a similar question like this a bit further down this forum. I am planting curly kale, chard, garlic (not till oct), onions, beetroot, spinach and lettuce and radish in cold frame! I only started this year gardening and am enjoying it but still very new! A great book is 'the 21st century smallholder by Paul Waddington. Its a simple and easy to read guide which is great for starting veg, fruit and animals from hens to cows! Just depends how far you want/can go!

You can plant spring onions, radishes, lettuce, chard, spinach, turnips, and carrots from seed and spring veg plants like spring greens. Your main enemy at this time of year will be slugs.

Ok, this sounds good. So when would I expect them to be ready? Is all the above for a spring harvest?

Thanks.

you can also plant all the sorts of flower bulbs (hyacinths, daffodils and tulips etc) that will give a blaze of colour from February to may next and every year :D

next month you can sow broad beans for an early crop next spring. Please don't confuse them with the vile, tinned rubbery ones they used to put in school dinners! young fresh tender broadbeans, stirfried or dressed in salads are delicious!

You should get most of them by Christmas or early into the new year depending on the temperature and other weather conditions. Winter lettuces etc need some protection a cloche or cold-frame.

I tend to grow parsley and coriander over the winter in the greenhouse which we leave open, it gives enough protection to keep them growing and they need the ventilation to stop mould and mildew. I have better success with things like coriander that is planted at this time of year than i do during the summer, how they grow it in hot countries i have no idea.

Getting the watering right in the greenhouse in the winter can be a bit tricky just keeping things just damp and not wet is the best. You don't need a full greenhouse I have had good results with those little plastic covered seed houses that you can zip the covers onto as well.

Any spring greens you plant will give you a crop in about April/May time and chard and perpetual spinach will also stand over the winter and regrow well at that sort of time.

You can also plant seed potaoes around now for new potatoes at Christmas, these would do best with a bit of protection later on because frost will kill the leaves, you could try them in a pot that you could cover on cold nights.

They usually recommend late October/November for broad beans I think.

you can also plant all the sorts of flower bulbs (hyacinths, daffodils and tulips etc) that will give a blaze of colour from February to may next and every year :D

next month you can sow broad beans for an early crop next spring. Please don't confuse them with the vile, tinned rubbery ones they used to put in school dinners! young fresh tender broadbeans, stirfried or dressed in salads are delicious!

I can highly recommend doing this! My broad beans were absolutely deeeelicious! (once I'd figured out when to pick them and how to cook them!) :oops::lol:

I can highly recommend doing this! My broad beans were absolutely deeeelicious! (once I'd figured out when to pick them and how to cook them!) :oops::lol:

Ditto, I planted mine this time last year and forgot about them until they were huge!!

They were really nice.