Popcorn

Gina's first egg

Hurray - we got our first egg yesterday. It's a bit on the small side (39 grams), but it is a fully formed perfect egg! I was so overjoyed I ran around the garden twice! :D

When the hens start laying do their personalities change? I think I am worrying too much, but I'm sure Thelma has become more anxious and a little jumpy.

:?

woo hoo! :D yes i think i did a quick sprint, kind of lap of honour around the garden when i got the first egg too! :lol:

i found that they settled down more when they started laying and became friendlier and easier to pick up. but i suppose every hen is different!

Congratulations Gina,

I am still excited when I find an egg in the eglu - the nice feeling does not wear off with time !!

I remember when I found my first egg my husband was having a management meeting at our house and when I ran in with it they all thought I was a bit potty and smiled very politely !! :?

Here's to lots of more eggs in the future.

Olivia

I remember when I found my first egg my husband was having a management meeting at our house and when I ran in with it they all thought I was a bit potty and smiled very politely !!
.. :lol: , bet they thought the wife of a vet, should expect, or at least know that hens lay !egg! 's. :lol:

Gina,

My two have been fine since they have been laying, they seem very happy and contented and laying well - I'm sure yours will be the same - I suppose it must be a bit of a shock to suddenly pass something as big as an egg, which must feel huge to them! :shock:

Good luck :D

Olivia

Awww, thanks Olivia,

My husband likened it to when you start your monthly's when you are 11 or so..if you know what I mean (don't want to be too graphic on here :shock: ) I guess he's right. I remember not being very happy when mine started. I couldn't go swimming for a start - devastated

:cry:

:D Congratulations on 1st egg, Gina. I'm excited for you, great news! :D It must be a strange sensation. At first mine would run up and down, in an out of Eglu before laying, then run squaking afterwards! Looked a bit like anxiety, but now they just take it all in their stride 8)

I've had a go at poo soup with interesting results. I put the contents of poop tray into a bucket and added a bit of water. A few days later I noticed it frothy and appears to be fermenting!!! I hasten to add that the amount of beer my girls are consuming when they eat the slugs from the trap each morning is minute, so that can't be the reason. There is a bit of straw in the poo soup so I don't know if that is the cause of the interesting fermentation. I think I shall leave it a while longer to observe. Has anyone else noticed this intriguing phenomenon (apologies for spelling but still trying to get enough empty wine bottles for another courgette container)

Jane I have had the same thing happen with the poo soup, it does appear to be fermenting but the veg are loving it...................I have been feeding the tumbler tomatoes with it and they are getting very large, looks like a bumper crop this year.... :lol::lol:

:shock: Oh Dear ... when I make the soup ... I fill a large watering can, and then apply the soup about an hour later ... don't leave it so I get a chemical reaction. :wink: . Maybe I should have put a proper or "pooper" recipe on the forum. :roll::lol::lol::lol: . Glad to hear its working though, my sweet peas are about to flower, and the courgettes are little babies at the moment. 8) , The runner beans are at the top of the garage now ... :shock::P

I make poo soup too, and yes, mine goes frothy. I was feeding my stawberries and runner beans with it. The runner beans are coming on great guns, but the strawberries were pruned last night to within inches of their lives by the girls...so it's goodnight strawberries :cry: