theherd123

Rabbit swelling

Please help!

I think i have a problem with the rabbits we keep at work. :?:?

Both are female & about 3-4 years old and we've had them for about a year & both have appeared healthy & fine. They have a hutch and large area to run around in approx 4m square. Neither are spayed.

Just this morning i noticed that Miffy had what appeared to be a large 'collar like' swelling under her chin & Pebbles had one the same but not as prominent - when i felt it it just seemed like spare skin and i could feel no lumps. I have been showering them to keep them cool during the hot weather and they have lots of shade to hang out in. No squitty poohs and eating & drinking fine.

Does anybody know what this could be? :?:?

Is it actually a swelling Emma or just loose fur? As bunnies get older some breeds develop a bit of a double chin. It doesn't mean that they are obese, just the way that they are. See this picture of one of my friend's bunnies. She belongs to the breeder we got our girls from.

seDSC05167.JPG

I would recommend that they are spayed though - does have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer if they aren't done. As with any animal there is a small risk from the anaesthetic, but not as much as from the cancer.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!! If there was a HUGH HUG icon you would have loads of them!

It just looks exactly like in the photo!

I feel better about things now but i will get them to the vet anyway and talk to them about having them spayed.

Is spaying a major job and do you think we should have both done at the same time? Do they need much care after the op?

As the rabbits are based at school there will be a student who will look after them over the summer but she may need support. Do you think the spaying could wait until September?

You dont know how relieved i am! :D:D:D:D

Thank you!!!

That's fine Emma :D I am just glad that it isn't serious, but best get it checked anyway. The spaying isn't a big deal and my vet did both girls at the same time. They need to be quiet for a few days afterwards and in a restricted space with minimal handling, but don't have any extra needs that couldn't be catered for by a teenager.

They are a bit older than normal for spaying (it's usuallly done at around 6 months), but that shouldn't present a problem.

I hope that they get on alright at the vet - please let me know what they say.

Hi Emma

Just to let you that I totally agree with Clare about the importance of having the girls spayed. I'm the besotted mother of two gorgeous Japanesse Harlequin rabbits and both of them were spayed nearly 2 weeks ago. Georgie coped fine with the procedure but unfortunately Peggy had a few problems due to her uterus being quite far back. She refused to eat for 24 hrs (despite being tempted with all her favourite foods and the good side of the garden!!) and had to go back to the vets Sat pm to have an injection to try and stimulate her digestive system as her organs were starting to slow down. Yep, you can imagine the worry over that weekend!She then decided to pull her stitches out so we were back to the vets again Mon am to have her wound stapled together.

Anyway I'm pleased to report that both Peggy and George are now doing really well and have been to have their respective stitches and staples out tonight. Unfortunately they still don't like either!! Am hoping that perserverence will prevail...........

As for Miffy's double chin, she's not the only one. Peggy is starting to get one as well!

Good luck with the spaying.

Liz

Thanks again to you both i shared the post with the student today and she sends her thanks too. :D

I think we are going to take them to the vets in the first week of the holidays with a view to having them spayed when we return to school in September.

Both are fine today and still eating & drinking well. We watered them with the watering can too as its been hot & humid in school today.

Thanks again.

I agree with Claret Lib your bunnies sound beautiful! :D

Thanks for this Claret, as i have now left school today for the summer - hurray! - i will call the student tomorrow and tell her to brush the rabbits and gently pull some fur out.

As rabbits regulate their body temperature via their ears we have been spraying their ears with a plant sprayer too! :D

Thanks again, you are a wealth of knowledge :D:D