Lavinia

?The wrong kind of food

I recently ordered some Layers Pellets from my local store and discovered this morning, having opened them and been feeding it for the past two days, that the reason it appears smaller is because I have been sent Growers Pellets. Is it ok to give adult hens this? They are laying well and appear ok. Will it make them fat?

Yup, you're right Paola, these are formulated to help the pullets grow and don't have the necessary ingredients to help laying hens to 'grow eggs'. I would be tempted to call up the place you got them from Lavinia andjust say that you've only just noticed - the mistake is theirs and they should send you the correct ones and take back the growers pellets.

Mine are eating growers at the moment, and still laying. I think if they still have grit and a bit of free ranging that's fine. Wouldn't recommend it full time, but no worries for a while. It's difficult when you have a mixture of age hens, but if you've been sent the wrong stuff, you should definitely sort it out with the supplier. ( I do give mine tonic, corn and black sunflower seeds too)