JellyB

2 eglus - how will they know where to go?

Today I took delivery of a second hand eglu (from the nice people who I got Daisy from) It is a slightly faded red Mk 1 but in perfect condition. Now, my question is....if I set it up now does it really matter if they all go to bed in their original pink one or if one or 2 or even all 3 go in the red one? Does it really matter? Shall I just keep the red one shut til I actually want to use it.

The main reason I got it now is I will be going away for a week in Sept and was going to put them end to end and cover the gap between the ends of the runs with sturdy chicken wire so they had a full run from the red and a full run plus converter with the pink and 2 eglus & 2 lots of feeders/water bowls to use for the week. My neighbour will check up on them and collect any eggs and top up food and water but I didn't want her to be worried about them getting out.

Then I hope to get a couple of rescue chooks and keep them in the red eglu til they were settled. Then will it matter if they all share & share alike?

sorry it's long winded...just wanted the best advice please :D

We have just got 2 gorgeous Cotswold Legbars - Martin thought our trip to Stratford was just to see the Tempest! We have put the Legbars in the Eglu, and have let our Omlet hens have free fun in the garden as usual letting them roost together ar night which last night was painless. We have made a new pad for our omlet hens so that they have somewhere to lay during the day however they have ignored it. Will persevre tonight. Have taken advice from introducing hen themes. Just not sure how they will take to a new pad albeit short term - I hope.

Yes, it will Jane

You should have called in while you were in Stratford, by the way. :D

Just keep separating them during the day - ours always took about a week - and then introduce them. There will be pecking - but it is a necessary part of establishing a pecking order - best not to watch for a while and only check to see if blood has been drawn :?

Your older hens should sort out where to lay temporarily - don't worry.

Thanks Lesley. My main concern was where the other two would lay and have been doing all sorts of juggling over the last two days to keep them sepatate and let the older hens into the Eglu. Gracie hasn't laid yet today so I will stop juggling and see if I can encourage her into our temporary house. :D

When you introduce them do you do it in the Eglu or loose. I was going to let them together in the garden rather than in a confined space :?: