Jukebox Tim

Introducing a new chicken to the Kray Twins

I know there's a "sticky" on this but it seems to diarise Buffie's experience of introducing a new chook to an existing two...I tried to read all 11 pages but wondered if anyone else out there has had some experience of this.

We've just introduced a Maran to our two Omlet hybrids. The breeder was straight with us and said that despite their friendly nature towards humans, the hybrids can vicious bullies towards other chickens. He did point out that this was natural and would last for only a matter of days. He said that the Maran, being a fairly large breed (at 20 weeks old she is bigger than our 18 month old hybrids) is robust enough to stand this treatment - the Maran's passive nature also means she'll not fight back and will accept her place in the pecking order.

Anyway, the advice we had was to let them get on with it and not intervene too much unless it got bloody or the new one was being deprived of food and water. They roost peacefully together in the Eglu at night but the days are difficult (now day 2). LaVern and Mabel (hybrids), now re-named the Kray Twins, are behaving like a pair of gangsters, jumping on Bessie (Maran) whenever she ventures out of the Eglu. They've not hurt her yet and it looks and sounds worse than it probably is. This morning I sprayed her feathers with anti-peck spray and we've got Stockholm Tar and vet's wound powder on stand-by for any nasty wounds.

I guess what I'm looking for is some reassurance that my hoodlum hybrids will calm down in a day or two and that the three will get on. We don't have the luxury of a big run and separate hen-house - we have a MK2 Eglu with the run extension.

Can anyone out there empathise with what we're doing and going through and did it work out OK for you in the end? :?

I'm afraid I'm a real wimp when it comes to chickens being horrible to eachother. Leaving them to get on with it is too difficult for me, but maybe one or two of my bantams (not the Marans!!) are related to your Kray Twins.

The only suggestion I can offer is ...... can you split the eglu run/extension during the daytime? Keep the Kray twins in one side, and Bessie in the other. They need to be able to see each other and feed/drink close to eachother. With any luck, after a week or so, they should be used to the sight of each other. I hope!

Hi Tim... Yes I certainly can. I'm afraid it took 3 weeks for one of our originals to stop attacking and hurting one of our new ones....probably not what you want to hear!

We couldn't let them freerange at all either... as they were replacing a chook who got taken by Mr Fox. When it got really bad (bald, bloody bird)We ended up putting the bully in a rabbit run whilst the two new ones got used to their surroundings and the bumper bits came through.... from the domestic wildfowl website. These little devices saved our life!

Crockett (Bully) still wears it as she still jumps on her back and reminds her who's boss, even though Izzy is perfectly happy to be the lowest of the low, poor thing, adn never tries it on.

Many, many other people have had a couple of difficult days and then all's well. Hope yours will be like that, but it is worth getting those bumper bits, just in case. Once they do physical damage, they just don't stop.

Good luck!

Oh, and the thread you've mentioned is mainly me after about page 8... like you said...pouring out my woes... however there is some good advice there !

Edited by Guest

We just introduce 2 new girls in with our existing 2, and we just put them all in the big run together from day. The bad pecking lasted about 3 days, and although there is still the odd peck from Belle, just reminding them who's in charge, and who should get first pick at any treats, things have settled down nicely.

One problem we did have was that one of the new girls (Darling) decided to pick on her friend that arrived with her. Some hose therapy soon sorted her out - if you have the time I can recommend it. Stand at the run, armed with a hose, and squirt the offender every time she looks to peck. It took about an hour, but she got the message, and she now leaves Hunney alone!

Thanks to you all for your replies;

Annie, we got the bumper bits from Wild Fowl Trust in anticipation of this.....tried to fit them yesterday and gave up after 20 minutes.

Jools, I may well be able divide the extension from the main run....I'll give it some thought.

We let the Kary twins out of the run whilst we're there and give Bettie the freedom of the Eglu run.

They are a nightmare to get on aren't they? It took us 10 minutes and you can't be a wimp about it at all... I held the poor bird's head whilst OH used all his strength to prise the ends of teh ring apart. He managed to get one side in the nostril, but not the other.. He wanted to give up, but we persisted and it really was worth it, as after about 1/2 an hour of Tubbs trying to wipe it off on the ground and another 1/2 back to bullying, she soon gave up. Do try again, and be brutal with the ring. It really doesn't hurt the chicken....she just squirms because she doesn't like what's going on....

We have introduced new hens twice and they had to go straight into the eglu run with the others. As long as they are willing to accept their place, we found they settled after about day 4. It was a long 4 days though! Mine never drew blood so I let them get on with it, probably would have separated the run if they had been wounded.

Mel

I've always been quite brutal about it and just stuffed the new ones in. I've probly been quite lucky, none of mine really got hurt (although penny is missing a bit of her comb thanks to Purdy). One thing I found useful was shutting the old girls out of the run and the new girls in while I was in the garden, it seemed to make the new girls a bit more confident in themselves (territorial thing I suppose). Other than that, try not to worry, it'll be fine. :)

We got two Ex battery hens three and a half weeks ago.

Audrey has gone from being mummys best girl (the one who tolerated cuddles) to Mrs EVIL EYE!! She really didn't like the arrival of the two newbies. We've had quite a lot of pecking/chasing, but so far it has only got out of hand once.

I've had to separate them in the mornings while they're doing most of their feeding as J & A keep moving M-P and E away from their food. In the afternoon I've been letting them get on with it in the garden.

The only reassurance I can give you is that this week there seems to have been less pecking/chasing and the pecks have seemed to get less serious.

So far Emmy hasn't wanted to sleep in the Eglu, she's still sleeping in the rabbit hutch......I've just spent 20minutes clearing up straw from all over the lawn. J& A decided to hop up into it and kick all the bedding out. :evil:

Thanks to you all for your replies and advice.

We're at day three of the intro of Bessie and..... things are looking up!

They're in the run together and we only intervene if it looks like getting violent. This intervention is in the form of squirting Mabel and/or LaVern with a water pistol whenever they attack Bessie. They started to get the message yesterday afternoon and this morning they were all eating and drinking contentedly together.

We may have a way to go yet but today peace has descended upon the Farnham chooks! :)

:D:D:D:D

Well done Tim! I know from experience that it can sometimes take a while for things to settle, and it certainly sounds like you are over the worst of it now!