TAJ Posted January 20, 2009 Share Posted January 20, 2009 Have a look at this website it shows rare and endangered poultry and gives some very interesting stats i.e. WW2 only 1% of hen battery, more recently it has been 93%! http://www.rbst.org.uk/watch-list/poultry I good excuse to get a few extra hens to preserve the breeds. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted January 20, 2009 Share Posted January 20, 2009 I have a gold legbar from Wernlas, so feel quite proud to have her. My sister has a lot of Buff orpingtons - most are boys, but all have a forever home on the farm. I like the minorcas ears! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenanne Posted January 21, 2009 Share Posted January 21, 2009 IMO the only way rarer breeds will be maintained is by small-scale keepers like us choosing them over hybrids. They've no place in battery farming (actually, battery farming has no place!) or other large commercial farming, and most who do it on a business footing need something like blackrocks (prolific layers). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ella Posted January 22, 2009 Share Posted January 22, 2009 I have 2 rare breeds both of them are German Vowerks. how rare are they? my grandads friend gave them to us and said their are worth £75 each. Is that true? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenanne Posted January 22, 2009 Share Posted January 22, 2009 It depends on how well they match to the breed standard, really. The best way to to figure this out is to google the breed club, which will probably have the Standard somewhere on the website. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted January 22, 2009 Share Posted January 22, 2009 Ella, I got my Vorwerk at POL from the Wernlas Collection and she cost me around £30. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted January 22, 2009 Share Posted January 22, 2009 Mine are all pure breeds, none of them rare (well, Lucille was until she died ) I love them all to bits though and they are sooo pretty in their new sprign collection of feathers. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Madbird Posted January 22, 2009 Share Posted January 22, 2009 I have 2 rare breeds both of them are German Vowerks. how rare are they? my grandads friend gave them to us and said their are worth £75 each. Is that true? I guess it depends on how much someone is prepared to pay for them? Lovely looking hens though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tara.F Posted January 22, 2009 Share Posted January 22, 2009 I have 2 rare breeds both of them are German Vowerks. how rare are they? my grandads friend gave them to us and said their are worth £75 each. Is that true? I soooooo want vorwerks (perfect for chicken tractoring ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...