Just fixed a second extension on my cube. I now have 4 hens in a cube plus 3 metres of run so the girls have a nice sheletered area under the cube, with 2 side screens and a dustbath. They then have the metre with the ladder in, an unshaded empty metre and then the last metre with feeders and super glug, sheltered by a small cover on the side and a large one over the top to keep both wind and rain out. They are in a paddock across the drive, so I don't like to let them free range unless I am out in the vegetable garden in the paddock; hence the numerous extensions to give them some space.

I think I have at last got the set up as I want ; all that remains is to see if I can still move the thing around every 2 or 3 weeks to freshen the grass. :)

(as you can imagine, it was great fun fixing on the side panels and moving the front with the girls "helping" all the way through the operation. They have now tried to eat plastic clips, my fingers and wing nuts, but concluded that the meal worms put down to distract them during the difficult bits were the nicest treats.)

Plum wrote

if you can face having your fingers pecked again

Please no !!!!

Actually its opening and closing the clips that is worse - I had gloves on because of the cold (and the beaks) and when I had finished my thumbnails were all blood covered from my nails tearing and digging in where I had pressed so hard to close the clips ! :shock:

(NB Omlet - how about some secure run clips which are easier to open, close and reuse for alterations ?)

Pictures may follow, when I have cleaned the girls' run up a bit - not fit to be seen at the moment !!

thanks for the nice comments :D