Alis girls

death of an animal (fish)

We are sadly missing Solo our Daneo fish this am. He was the last one to go hense the name. As a family we are hopeless with fish, luckliy our furry friends fare better. We moved 2 yrs ago in Dec and Solo and friends were moved 2 miles in the back of my car in a cardboard box surrounded in bubble wrap on a cold frosty Sunday :shock: . Mill Hill as name suggests is hilly, but we got them here safely. His mates died off one by one over last 2 yrs, but Solo kept going. This morning alas he was no more and has gone to fish tank in sky.

My youngest son (7) said its your fault you didnt feed him! rubbish he was fed regualrly and water changed as and when. we will have a burial if i can dig through the hard ground.!! Children are funny how they cope with bereavement. When Daisy our bunny had to be put to sleep we all cried buckets, she wasnt a particulalry nice bunny, she hated me and bit me when she could except when I was nursing her. But having to have her put to sleep was heart breaking. I howled all the way back home with her little body in the back. How do others deal with this? It is agood learning curve for kids. There is a subdued feeling today, however I know some will say "its only a fish" but Solo was part of the family. RIP.

How do I enter my furry friends onto my list please? can anyone tell me thanks :)

I know some will say "its only a fish" but Solo was part of the family. RIP.

Not at all, fish have definate characters of their own. I had to put a similar post in recently when our 2 (Peeky and Hermione) died and I was overwhelmed with a level of sadness I did not expect. :cry: Big Hugs to you all.

I'm sorry to hear about Solo. We lost two orange platys last week (YS never named these two). He is down to three fish now. We knew one was ill and probably didn't have long (bulging stomach) but then the other one simply just died. Then the next day the ill one died. Very sad. I think fish seem to die more often than other pets so it does sort of get kids used to the circle of life.

So we are down to a pleco and two stripey snake type fish (no good at remembering the types of fish). I think plecos can go on for years and years, he's already 5.

Thanks for that- he is in his box (aptly a coffin shaped tin extra small!) ready to be buried with honours for survivng in a household which has not always been fish friendly. I think I killed them with love!! :shock: Tank is clean and now we have to do umpteen water checks till ready for new occupants. My friend who has hens was telling me today that hens can freeze to their perches if the perches are wet in cold weather. hers have a lamp. I am still saving hard for an Eglu and have not given up hope, girls at work think I;m bonkers!! Thanks again for lovely messages

We have had goldfish since 1989 (not the same ones) but you do get very attached to them and they do have their own personalities.

The last one to depart this earth was called Godzilla because he/she was huge and fearless. 'The Red one' is now on his/her own but seems quite happy.

I agree that fish are still pets and are missed. I am down to 3 in a 6 foot tank so they look a bit lonely. Everyone at work laughed at me when I took the last one to the vet and it had to be pts - you know the comments, 'flush it down the toilet' etc. But they are definitely part of the family.