Can you buy a new or re-con eglu without the run? We want to expand the flock and are undecided about an eglu or cube. We don't want any more than 6 girls and we will be having a walk in run (about 4m x 5m - maybe a little smaller) I think it will be easier to have 2 eglus on a table and a single door on the run than getting a cube and having to have double doors. (Cheaper too!) All comments, ideas, suggestions welcome!

Just to add that the eglu/cube will be inside the run.

I had this dilemma and opted for a second eglu. However the chooks had their own ideas and all merrily squashed into one eglu leaving it redundant. After much deliberation I bought a cube and sold the spare eglu. It has been a very good decision overall. I have a spacious cube and a spare eglu for ill chooks or introductions.

That's exactly my thinking - I won't ever have more than 5 or 6 girls and don't have room for a cube anyway (and wouldn't want a leaking one :anxious: ). I think 2 eglus would give you more flexibility.

Another idea I had was to just build a cosy corner with a nestbox in it so there were no queues for laying. I wouldn't want to get a 2nd eglu and then find they all slept in only one of them :roll: .

I have 2 eglus. One is spare at the moment as I only have 4 hens. One is winter quarters near to the house in a walk in run. and the other one is going to be set at at the bottom of the garden for introductions and moving around the lawn in the summer. when I am at work and they cant be let out to free range. Rather like a holiday home... Whats this about leaking cubes? which subjectheading Thanks Sue xxx