buffie

Henorabillia! What 's in your chook collection?

Oh I wanted a laugh so I'm posting this. Has anyone turned into a collector of...well....all things chicken. Never did it with boxers or my cats (only the odd thing) but I am the proud owner of egg cups, doorstop, spoon rest, alarm clock (really funky), egg bucket (looks nice in kitchen) etc. I think I'd have thought 'tat' at one time but I love it!!!!!

Got some nice bits at the rescue! Plus a great hen rescue tee shirt.

If I'm alone a, I'll be embarrassed :oops: at my confession and b, quite surprised :shock::shock: .

Please tell all!!!!

Bx :wink:

Edited because I like henorabllia as a word!! I'm going to copyright that I think!!

Ohhh........... I thought I was the only mad one! :shock:

My house is full to bursting with "all things chicken" I have doorstops, buckets, pictures, towels, egg cups, coat hangers, carved chickens, chicken stool, chicken chairs, cushions, cutlery, one's made of straw, chicken blackboard, chicken trugg etc etc............. had all these things before we got the girls and have realised that there is nothing like the real thing :lol:

I used to have boxers too, do you think there is a connection :? ????

Jane x

I've got some catching up to do. (Mind you, I did like the teapot and cups at Belton Kate)

I always remember a work collegue of mine carrying around a 'porche' key ring. When I asked her if she'd got a porche, she said 'no', but it was the first step towards it. I can liken this to a chalk board I bought from a car-boot sale about 6 years ago. It has a gorgeous picture of a coupe of hens at the top. It's moved about with us from house to house as I loved it so much.

So, you see, buying something to keep your dream in mind does work.

Now I DO have some chickens

(can't speak for the lady with porche keyring though! - start small, that's what I say!)

Met a lady at the rescue and living in devon she has a collection of real animals on her farm but said her fascination with, cows, sheep, pigs, chickens and goats :roll::roll: meant that her collections were making the house groan, she warned me that once in your blood it would anly grow :shock:

Not going to have geese on my wall though!

Think I may suggest getting a goat to Mikey tonight and watch the colour drain from his cheeks, only kidding!

Bx :lol:

I love all the chicken stuff, and you're right, there does seem to be such a lot of it around at the moment, or is just that I'm noticing it more now? But I loathe and detest housework, I do it because I can't live with dust and untidiness (& because I have 2 children, 1 husband & assorted animals who create plenty of the above :roll: ). So I generally keep my urges to buy decorative stuff in check. So boring but I always ask myself if

a) I need it

b) will I need to dust it

c) will it be useful in any way

d) can I afford it.

It works for me. I have one (gorgeous) chicken door stop- and that's it. So far :wink:

Kate I've popped a note of that in my diary and we'll see how your collection is by...say december!

Oh and remember everyone will be buying us chicken gifts for christmas, sorry to mention christmas but we booked our holiday and you can bet that on the 16th of september (when we go) the shops will be all flashing crimbo lights and jingle bells will be playing.

I love it though, prepare yourselves this season for my constant rantings about how I love it. The girls have their winter shade already as I knew the rain would be tropical, it's very good by the way!!

Bx:wink:

Off topic as usual!!! :oops: I managed christmas, holiday, winter shade and weather. Not bad going!! :lol:

Edited by Guest

I'm trying not to collect too much :roll:

I did buy a ceramic chicken and I got very interested in egg-cups on Ebay :?

SarahJo bought us two lovely chicken mugs on Sunday so perhaps that will be the start of our collection? Oh - and I bought some little chicken candles on the ferry over to France but they haven't found their way out of the box yet :roll:

Edited by Guest

Lesley you've got a roll and not a :roll: Gremlins at work me thinks. or a couple o' cheeky chickens having fun!!

I'll be very impressed if you can control your urges to collect. It's like the girls standing there picking up bits of stick or bark, popping it behind themselves or on their backs :) as if nest building, it's got to be done!! Even if there is no real point to it :!:

Bx

I have a wonderful dried grass cockerel 8) very life like (bought from Mill House)

We think Marmalade has fallen in love with him as she is always creeping into the kitchen for a peek and a peck:?

Unfortunately I'm very impulsive and if I see something I like I have to have it :oops: similar thing happened when I met my hubby on holiday 15 years ago :D

Jane

:P Chicky !egg! cups and spoons.

:P Marble speckledy hen doorstop.

:P A kind of Metal hen .... stands on the worksurface in kitchen.

:P A wire !egg! holder, attached to the wall, with a hen in the middle.

:P Hen and Cokerel clock in the lounge.

:P Hen doorbell ..... at the back door.

I thinks thats it ... we should be really sad though, and place pics in the gallery, under the "chicken" section. :wink:

We don't actually have that much chicken stuff atm, but the 'collection' is growing! :D

- hen coasters in the shapes of hens!

- hand painted hen wall plaque

- one of those portmerion pot hens (currently used as a cork holder)

- a big freestanding cockerel made out of painted tin and an amber glass tummy which holds a tea light. The girls arn't too keen on him, so we put him in places we don't want scratched up so they keep well away! Will have to post a pic of him - he's great! :P

Yep - our collection is growing too. My mad department gave me a collection of chicken items for my birthday last month. The funniest thing was a pair of lifesize terracotta chickens that I immediately put in the garden. When Molly saw them she rushed over and started 'growling' at them :lol: It was the funniest thing I've seen/heard in a long time.

Hi Anna, welcome back, I haven't seen you posting for a while :):)

Sorry moderators, I know, off topic :oops::oops:

So, a quick return to topic....... :wink:

I did claim yesterday not to have any henrobilia (have I got that right Buffie :? ), but as I was washing up last night I looked up, and there on the wall is a lovely ceramic cockerel plaque- but I got that on holiday in Spain about 10 years ago :oops: . So now I have to admit to 2 pieces, and I bet you're right Buffie, post Christmas it'll probably be 22 :roll:

But with any luck this thread'll be long forgotten by then, so I won't have to admit to it :oops::oops::roll:

Oh this topic will run and run and I'll make sure of that. Nothing to be :oops: about. I also remembered I have weather vane type metal thing in the garden with cockerel on top. Love it and also want some terracotta hens for the garden. Yes Anna you've been missed!!

I get the feeling that chicken stuff is very in, chelsea had lots of stuff this year (only year I've ever been) even modern takes on the theme. I will try to retain some measure of taste!!

Bx

Yes, I have a weathervane of a hen plus a cockerel doorstop, 8 chicken ornaments in the sitting room alone :oops: plus 3 Lego chickens made by Ollie for me for Mother's Day. Countless chicken pictures, a chicken apron, chicken oven glove, glass chicken eggcups, various ornaments in the loft because I've run out of room in the house :oops: .

Hmmm, I think I have a bit of an obsession starting!