Willow

Mamade marmalade - what is nice to add to it ?

I'm going to have a try making marmalde with Mamade (been successful with jam in the past but my only previous attempt at marmalade was not a success hence the cheating)

Wanted to add some extras to make it a little special and wondered what others add.

I have an orange tin and a lemon tin.

How much of the afore mentioned boozy bits do you add? I have a new tin of Mamade to make up & was wondering how much whisky or drambuie I would need, I have a miniature of drambuie & 1/4 bottle of whisky. And would I adjust the amount of water accordingly or simply add it towards the end of the boiling bit (highly technical huh? :? )

Sha x

would I adjust the amount of water accordingly or simply add it towards the end of the boiling bit (highly technical huh? :? )

Sha x

Don't add it when its still boiling - I did that once & the darn stuff lit up! :roll:

I now leave it to cool down & stir a measure or so of the good sfutt in just before jarring the marmalade up.

Doing it this way,adding a tiny bit,stirring ,then adding a bit more means you can keep a closer eye on the consistency of the marmalade too.

I still add the usual amount of water to mine 8)

would I adjust the amount of water accordingly or simply add it towards the end of the boiling bit (highly technical huh? :? )

Sha x

Don't add it when its still boiling - I did that once & the darn stuff lit up! :roll:

I now leave it to cool down & stir a measure or so of the good sfutt in just before jarring the marmalade up.

Doing it this way,adding a tiny bit,stirring ,then adding a bit more means you can keep a closer eye on the consistency of the marmalade too.

I still add the usual amount of water to mine 8)

Oooops! :shock: You learn by others mistakes, many thanks Cinnamon!

Sha x

I can't believe how easy it is to make lovely marmalade using Mamade !!

The lemon and whiskey came out very well as did the orange and ginger although I will add more root ginger and bigger chunks of crystallised ginger to the orange and ginger next time as the ginger taste was subtle.

I made a breakfast hamper for my in-laws and made up Nigella's granola as well as the marmalade then added a nice bottle of bucks fizz, some chinese tea, pack of starbucks Christmas coffee and a pack of eggs. I hope they like it they are so hard to get presents for... The children made a gingerbread house and a Christmas candle arrangement for them as well.

I loved the last batch I made.  Now time to make more.  I bought a tin for regular marmalade (I may put a bit of whiskey or Gran Marnier in at least one of the jars.)  I want to experiment with the other can.  I have made Tomato Marmalade and would like to use the concentrate this time.  Does anyone have an idea how much would equal a pound of oranges?   Tomato/orange marmalade with saffron tastes great with a charcuterie board featuring Spanish meats and cheeeses if anyone is wondering what I would want to do with it.