Ladylucan

New Chick. Yipee!!!

Sorry, i had added to a thread about broody hens but was unable to findit!, sorry,

Well i had one chick born this morning, (day 21) was hoping for a few more, as i did place 6 under her, i did try candeling, but really only found 2 that i could see through, so really hoping i may have another couple, but bless it is sooooo sweet, not bad really for a first attempt.

i will try and add a piccy tomorrow, just had to share my good news x

xx

i will try and get piccy on here, hopefully it is a girl, i had a better look this morning, and it has lovely fluffy legs, ( lavender pekin bantam) but its a bit yellowy and grey at the moment, but oh its sooooo sweet.

The rest of the eggs were bad, so have had to get rid of them, so am going to put a thread up wanting some chicks, as cant bear to see her sooo lonely

xx

One chick won't be lonely as she (positive thinking :) ) has her mum for company. I just replied on your other thread, but thinking about it, you need to be careful about adding chicks now as it might already be too late. Mum and babies "imprint" in the first day and mum may well reject any chicks you introduce after this, leaving you with babies to hand-rear.

I had this with my first hatch of chicks this year. My sister in law's three broodies shared the eggs and six hatched. She planned to send one mum and five chicks up to me, leaving her favourite hen with "her" one chick. Unfortunately when hubby went to get them, all six were mixed and he just picked up five - s*ds law meant he left the wrong one, which meant that SIL had to disappoint her favourite hen as she wouldn't accept the "wrong" chick. The mum who came to stay with me loved "her" four chicks, but rejected the fifth, so I had to bring it in (and another one for company) and rear them under a heat lamp in a dog cage in the spare room. It was interesting, but I would prefer the natural way in future!

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out for you :)