Lesley H

Pellet/food worry

Hello everyone - I feel like an idiot here but I have to ask...what counts as a treat??? I am terrified mine will stop eating the pellets...Lily already seems to ignore them. I have given them nothing else today, apart from a bit of broccoli left in there from yesterday, and a couple of garden worms.

They see me as a walking buffet though and follow me up and down whenever I go near the run - in the hope of something nice.

should I avoid giving them the odd worm, snail etc altogether - or is that ok??? When they freerange - hopefully in a few days I'm sure they will find those things for themselves.

I plan to give them something before bed...but I was wondering about those things. What happens if they go off thier pellets altogether? Would I have to leave them locked in the run until they ate it again???

I feel like a bad, obsessive mother!!!!

I was advised only to give treats in the afternoon, they will eat pellets in the morning. Mine free range all day and will periodically wander over to the feeder. Like you I am seen as a walking buffet, however I have to say I smile every time the girls come hurtling accross the garden towards me. :wink:

I give them sweetcorn,grapes,sunflower seeds, bread,cheese; really it's trial end error. Mine don't like apple or strawberry! :lol:

HI Lesley H

Welcome to chickenhood! It doesn't sound as though you're doing much wrong to me! Pellets or mash should be their staple diet with the occasional treat late afternoon/early evening. You can leave them in the run a bit longer in the morning so they have to eat some pellets if you like, but they aren't stupid enough to starve themselves, so try not to worry!

I think worms and broccili count as treats - and they're very nutritious! A small handful of mixed corn late in the day would also be classed as a treat and it's good in the colder weather for keeping them warm at night! The odd grape, bit of sweetcorn, etc etc won't harm them and it's good they associate you with food as it means you can get them back in the run when you need to.

Good luck ........ and enjoy!

OH MY GOODNESS - Lily has just laid an egg!!!! I am in shock - we popped out to B&Q and there it was!!! She has slept in the nest the past 2 nights and has been popping in and out all day. When we walked in the garden she was going crazy - all super excited. I can't beleive it!!! They only arrived Saturday!!!

It's small and pure white - very sweet...we shall eat it later.

My goodness...this chicken keeping lark is all rollercoasters of emotion!!!!

I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Thanks for your advice. I will stick to pm treats (let's not mention the grapes they just had - I HAD to reward Lily!!!!)

Hello everyone - I feel like an idiot here but I have to ask...what counts as a treat??? I am terrified mine will stop eating the pellets...Lily already seems to ignore them. I have given them nothing else today, apart from a bit of broccoli left in there from yesterday, and a couple of garden worms.

They see me as a walking buffet though and follow me up and down whenever I go near the run - in the hope of something nice.

should I avoid giving them the odd worm, snail etc altogether - or is that ok??? When they freerange - hopefully in a few days I'm sure they will find those things for themselves.

I plan to give them something before bed...but I was wondering about those things. What happens if they go off thier pellets altogether? Would I have to leave them locked in the run until they ate it again???

I feel like a bad, obsessive mother!!!!

it sounds like all chooks like their treats,and am so surprised how individual they are . one of mine (bluebel}loves sweeycorn, bread, tomatoes and especially grapes. lolas favorite is grapes, she is also a bit fussy and doesnt seem to want the pellets.i save the treats for later on in the day .