kerrie

Newbie bunny mummy needs advice

Hello, I have been persuaded by my children to get some mini lop baby bunnies-I'm just wondering-I have 3 children and the breeder does have 3 (actually 4) ready to go but they are all boys-will this cause a problem? If so is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks

Kerrie

They probably won't get on after puberty. You might get lucky - male bunnies who have grown up together can sometimes get along, as long as they are castrated quickly when they reach puberty - but it's unlikely, to be honest. The best combination of bunnies is a neutered boy-girl pair, followed by two girls who have been spayed. If you are determined to have bunnies, your best bet is to get one boy now, get him castrated when he hits puberty (about 4 months of age) and then get a female to keep him company. It's usually very easy to introduce a female to an existing male, but doing it the other way round can be tricky.

To be honest though, if your children are under twelve or so, rabbits aren't the best pets for them. They look cute and cuddly, but appearances are deceptive - rabbits by and large hate being picked up and cuddled, and kick and bite quite readily. Guinea pigs make much better pets for younger children, as they are quite happy to sit on knees for long cuddle sessions, and are big enough for small hands to hold easily. Rats are just as good (miles better than hamsters - much friendlier and with much better personalities), but some people are squeamish about them! Lovely creatures, though - I highly recommend them!

Thanks-my twin girls are 12 and my son is 9-10 in July but I've said no for now. My arthritis has hit a flare and rabbbit as well I vould do without.

Mind you I've managed to 'win' a rablu from ebay for £155 and a friend of mine has some pekin bantams that have hatched ( I wanted bantams but didn't think it would be a good idea to put them in with the big girls) so hopefully I'll get the convertor and have some bantams around July time! :clap:

Hi Newbie bunny mummy,

Agree with Victoriabunny's comments on the whole.

Our Dwarf Mini Lop bunny breeder strongly advised not to keep male bunnies together (or females for the matter), they won't love each other's company for long!! Our Mini Lop has a great personality & we only have the one.. so she has plenty of fuss but on the whole they don't enjoy being picked up.

Bantam's sound a fab idea :clap::dance: Good luck !!

I know you have already decided against getting the bunnies but I thought I should share this sorry tale for anyone else considering getting bunnies:

My friend has 2 mini lops both bought together as babies and thought (by breeder & vet) to be a doe and buck. They loved each other until puberty when it turned out the doe was a buck! :shock:

My friend had them both castrated, and had to keep them apart whilst they recovered. She thought they would be okay but when she tried re-introducing them (she did it all properly etc.) they had a massive fight. The smaller bunny was very badly bitten and had to have emergency surgery which the vet didn't hold out much hope for. :shock::( . The vet bill for this was getting on for £200.

Luckily the bunny has recovered and is now fine :) but the pair can't live together. :( It's such a shame as they are both lovely bunnies but just can't tolerate each other.

So I think Victoriabunny's advice is exactly right, get a buck have him castrated then introduce a spayed doe. That's what my pair are and they are very happy loved up bunnies :D

Get them castrate and handle them as much as possible and this will make them better pets for your children. And make sure you get good insurance cover for them ! Rabbit vet bills can be very very expensive !

But rabbits don't usually make good pets for children, I would say get chickens or guniea pigs - much friendlier and socialable !