Melanie

Cockerel's spurs

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the Omlet forum and not great with computers, so I hope this works. I did try to do a post late last evening but it seems to have disappeared completely, so maybe I did something wrong :?

I have a partridge silkie cockerel, who's been with us for about 15 months. In that time his spurs have grown quite a bit and they're quite curved. I haven't kept a cockerel before so does anybody know if his spurs will have to be trimmed? I've never picked him up so it could be interesting!!

Melanie

Hi Melanie

(What a FABULOUS name :wink: )

Welcome to the forum - dont worry about being "not great" with technology - you are amongst friends here!

I have no first hand knowledge of cockerels but I think their spurs can be shortened - its only dead tissue - a bit like our fingernails - the only live bit is where the spur meets the leg.

I am sure someone (Lesley?) will be along soon to help :D

Hi Melanie

I have a rather old hen who has a very long, twisted spur on one leg and a shorter one on the other. When it gets too long and she starts tripping over it :roll: , I get hubby to trim it back - he uses something from the depths of his toolbox (pliers, wire cutters, lord knows)! Best to do it gradually so you don't accidentally cut back to far though.

Good luck!

Looks like I will have to trim them then at some stage. Any ideas how I could get to pick him up? He runs away in the garden and when he's gone to bed he sits on the floor in the furthest away corner - at present I don't have an eglu, but a big wooden house which is probably 4ftx4ft (plus the run). I'd have to reach over the girls which might send him in to a protective frenzy. I've got an eglu on order 'cos I'm fed up with the amount of time it takes to clean out the big wooden house and run and the problems I've had with red mites, so perhaps I'll wait until he's in the eglu where it should be easier to reach him?

Has anyone else gone over from a wooden house to an eglu for these reasons? Was it a good decision?

Melanie