Hi There,

I have been browsing this site for a few weeks, thought I would be brave enough to say hello!. I do not as yet own Chickens or an eglo, but would hope to in the very near future. Am hoping to get a second hand one. Wondered if anyone could tell me if there is much difference in the price between Mark 1 and Mark 2 eglo's sell for also is the only difference the plastic roosting bars. Do they sell plastic ones for the old Mark 1's? Hope you dont mind me asking questions. Regards Christine.

Hi Christine and welcome to the forum! :D

The difference between the two is noted in the Eglus and cube FAQ swction but in brief they are:

Mk1 is slightly smaller but by not much and has a smaller door

Mk1 has a mesh underside (or partial mesh underside) rather than a solid one but still has the sliding poo tray

Mk1 roosting bars are in several peices and you cannot get plastic ones

Mk2 with run on ebay go for anywhere from £260-£300

Mk1 around £230-£300

There isnt a lot in it - it seems to be geography that drives the prices rather than age, the wider you are able to travel the better and a poor picture or shoddy write up affects the price too sometimes. likewise a good write up and pic can push the price up - sometimes they go for more than they cost new :lol::shock:

Rablus only come as a Mk2 and sometimes go for less but are set up for rabbits so would need to be converted to chicken format which costs about £80

There are both Mk1 and Mk2 for sale on ebay at the moment so it might be worth taking a look at the prices

We have an Eglus for Sale section so keep your eyes peeled there too :D

Welcome to the forum, Christine :) . Good luck in your search for an eglu :) . Bear in mind though, that you won't get spare parts for a Mark I (not that you really need spare parts but if you buy a secondhand one, there might be bits missing or worn out which you won't be able to replace).

You can get reconditioned eglus from Omlet at about £40 less than their full price. Phone them and ask if they have any in stock.

Welcome to the forum, Christine :) . Good luck in your search for an eglu :) . Bear in mind though, that you won't get spare parts for a Mark I (not that you really need spare parts but if you buy a secondhand one, there might be bits missing or worn out which you won't be able to replace).

You can get reconditioned eglus from Omlet at about £40 less than their full price. Phone them and ask if they have any in stock.

Thank you for all your help, very useful info. I think I may ring Omlet and ask about the reconditioned eglus.

I would try and go for a mark 2 if you can, as like ANH said about the spares - they are easier for a mark 2. The mark 2 has a bigger door also than the mark 1.

I sold my mark 2 green eglu & run at 18months old for £285.00.

Keep your eye out on here and be careful what you pay for a mark 1 on ebay as I can see some of them are going for just as much as a mark 2. :wink:

Keep a look on the eglus for sale board as sometimes people will sell them for less there as they don't have to pay ebay commission. And if you do arrange to buy one turn up when arranged. I got lucky locally as although I wasn't the first to message the seller saying I could turn up anytime with cash I was high in the list and the first person didn't turn up when arranged so I got a mark 2 eglu and run for £200 :dance:

I'd been looking on and off at second hand eglus for a while to get a feel for what they sold for whilst I considered my options for when I increased my flock and amazingly this one turned up when I needed it 8)

I don't know much about the differences but if you're contacting Omlet anyway, then ask if they have any of the shiny green Eglus left. They are £299 inc. run so £40 odd cheaper than normal, just for the sake of a different finish - they're normally matte.

We've gone for a shiny one as the total of our order is close to £500 so saving £40 is welcome!

I recently got my (pink eglu) on e-bay. It's a mark 2 and buy it now was £350.00 but I just went in and offered £250.00 and after several prices coming back and forth I ended up paying £275.00. I got loads of extra bits like a 25 metre run thrown in as well so think i did really well.

So if you see one you like give it a go :)