Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 6, 2009 Share Posted May 6, 2009 Here's Beaky: And Butterfly: And Mrs Little: Katie, your combo is the same as my original chooks; Bluebell , Buttercup (Goldline) & Snowdrop (Amber Star) If she's a bluebelle, you have lovely plum blush eggs to look forward to. Our Lulu lays beautiful coloured ones.Emma.x Emma, my Bluebell lays very similar eggs to Buttercup & Snowdrop - brown ones! - though sometimes they are slightly smaller than the other girls gifts, she's physically bigger then them too! Mind you the Orpies are by far the biggest and lay the smallest eggs of my lot !! Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted May 6, 2009 Author Share Posted May 6, 2009 She is a bluebelle, but I'm a bit colour blind so all browns and beiges look the same to me - I have no idea what plum blush means, all the photos I've seen just look brown to me!! Maybe it'll be easier in real life when I can put them next to each other You have a good point about the weekend brunch - but the question is, when do I get the fabulous bacon out of the freezer Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted May 6, 2009 Author Share Posted May 6, 2009 Katie, your combo is the same as my original chooks; Bluebell , Buttercup (Goldline) & Snowdrop (Amber Star) Butterfly is a gold star, is that the same as a goldline? I've noticed they look just the same, was wondering if its just different names for the same chicken? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smithy36 Posted May 6, 2009 Share Posted May 6, 2009 MMmmm dont know about the Goldline/Gold star... but there do seem to be lots of names for the same types of chickens! We have a Goldline called Ruby, who lays quite dark brown eggs - she is our biggest hen. We also have a Bluebelle called Tallulah Belle - her eggs are smaller than the others, and rounder in shape (like a ball almost) - some eggs are very oval or even pointy in shape (Leghorn crosses - Nancy and Angelina). Even if the eggs are the same colour you will soon tell them apart... they are always the same eg Bettys eggs have a few speckles on the blunt end... I am sure that there is a technical term for that! Am chanting..."eggs for Katie, eggs for Katie" Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dame egna Posted May 6, 2009 Share Posted May 6, 2009 Any sign of this girl getting her bottom into gear yet?! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted May 6, 2009 Author Share Posted May 6, 2009 NNNNOOOOOPPPE!! We are still utterly eggless Apart from the box of 15 I've just bought at the supermarket that is - I've given up buying just a few at a time in anticipation of Beaky producing anything now, the sense of imminence has all but gone Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 6, 2009 Share Posted May 6, 2009 Aaaah, adopting the "if I buy some she'll lay" philosophy ! Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Budgies Posted May 6, 2009 Share Posted May 6, 2009 NNNNOOOOOPPPE!! We are still utterly eggless Apart from the box of 15 I've just bought at the supermarket that is - I've given up buying just a few at a time in anticipation of Beaky producing anything now, the sense of imminence has all but gone Oh dear! I have to say, when I looked at the photos, her comb still looked quite pale to me. They go very red when they lay. Maybe it'll be next week! I remember when I got my two girls, Chutney had the biggest comb and was squatting when we approached. Mango had a wee tiny pale comb and wasn't squatting. Chutney used to spend time each day sitting in the nesting box, Mango definitely didn't! One day Mango disappeared for 40 minutes and when I went to find her, she was sitting on an egg in the nesting box with a puzzled expression on her beak!! So they confound all our attempts at second guessing and do their own thing anyway! I'm sure she'll lay soon, poor girly, give her a chance!! LOL Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
puddleduck Posted May 6, 2009 Share Posted May 6, 2009 I remember when I got my two girls, Chutney had the biggest comb and was squatting when we approached. Mango had a wee tiny pale comb and wasn't squatting. Chutney used to spend time each day sitting in the nesting box, Mango definitely didn't! One day Mango disappeared for 40 minutes and when I went to find her, she was sitting on an egg in the nesting box with a puzzled expression on her beak!! So they confound all our attempts at second guessing and do their own thing anyway! I'm sure she'll lay soon, poor girly, give her a chance!! LOL maybe with this theory mine will lay first .....but then again I bet they won't!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted May 6, 2009 Author Share Posted May 6, 2009 Oh dear! I have to say, when I looked at the photos, her comb still looked quite pale to me. They go very red when they lay. Maybe it'll be next week! I thought that, but some days she seems redder than others - but the breeder thought she was on the cusp when we got her.... over 4 weeks ago!! Puddleduck, one of us has to get an egg one day soon!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smithy36 Posted May 6, 2009 Share Posted May 6, 2009 tomorrow... i have willed it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted May 7, 2009 Share Posted May 7, 2009 C'mon Beaky - I voted for today Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted May 7, 2009 Share Posted May 7, 2009 Me too . Vicki power rules . Vicki (aka ANH!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted May 7, 2009 Author Share Posted May 7, 2009 Still nothing in the nest box but a load of poo! We neen more eggy thoughts people, it's not working!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted May 7, 2009 Share Posted May 7, 2009 !eggspeck! :dance: Thursday, Thursday, Thursday !eggspeck! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted May 7, 2009 Author Share Posted May 7, 2009 Ha ha ha I actually did laugh out loud then!!! How can she resist that?? Think I'll take the laptop out and show her that later on!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted May 7, 2009 Author Share Posted May 7, 2009 Well I've been out and come home, and still nothing. Getting rather huffed with them now How could they resist all that?? And they have the cheek to expect me to let them out anyway - they're itching to get at my blackcurrant bush again! Huh!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted May 7, 2009 Share Posted May 7, 2009 Well I have to say ANH I'm very disappointed our multiple 'Vicki Vibes' didn't work! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted May 7, 2009 Share Posted May 7, 2009 There's still time . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted May 7, 2009 Author Share Posted May 7, 2009 What time do hens usually lay? Is it normally in the morning or any time? I've been checking first thing, lunchtime, and bed time so there's no chance I'd miss it just wondering when it's most likely Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted May 7, 2009 Share Posted May 7, 2009 They do lay in the mornings...mostly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted May 7, 2009 Author Share Posted May 7, 2009 Well, we'll have to keep waiting then I had a thought today - mayonnaise made with our hen's fresh eggs, yuuummmy!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
puddleduck Posted May 7, 2009 Share Posted May 7, 2009 I had a thought today - mayonnaise made with our hen's fresh eggs, yuuummmy!! thats a lovely thought....... sooooooooooon it will be reality! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted May 7, 2009 Share Posted May 7, 2009 They do lay in the mornings...mostly Ssshhhhh . Don't tell them that . (How close are you, Chickvic? Close enough to nip round and sneak one into the nestbox?) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted May 7, 2009 Share Posted May 7, 2009 Unfortunately not Only Opal is laying for me anyway - Ruby hasn't laid for 6 months now Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...