Oh Carolina Posted May 23, 2009 Share Posted May 23, 2009 Hi, I am a complete newbie at this, so I may be worrying about nothing but.... I had to get them out of their house yesterday (first day here) and and put them in last night and get them out again today. Yesterday I gave them a bit of a push, two of them perched on the ladder for a bit but wouldn't move until I 'encouraged' them. All my birds are fairly small, except the Orpington who I carried into the run, as I thought maybe I could hurt her somehow if I gave her a push out the door, due to her size. They all sit outside all day in the run and don't even attempt the ladder. At the breeders I purchased them from, there were perches, but no ladders. How long do I wait to see if they will 'learn' the ladder and do I need to train them to use it? Thanks! I'd appreciate any suggestions! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 23, 2009 Share Posted May 23, 2009 They will get the hang of it eventually. Why not put something at the base of the ladder for them to hop onto first. I did this and they seemed to find it easier. I used a log. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted May 23, 2009 Share Posted May 23, 2009 I put a small log at the base of the ladder too, it seemed to help. They all did eventually get used to it but even now 2 months down the line 2 of them still sort of hop/fly in and out. But it doesnt seem to bother them so dont worry they'll get the hang of it sooner or later Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
legend21 Posted May 23, 2009 Share Posted May 23, 2009 Hi got my exbats on Wednesday night, OH had to put them all in as they just stared at the ladder, Next morning most of them tumbpled out, today the can all get in but some still fall out. They will get the hang of it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Oh Carolina Posted May 30, 2009 Author Share Posted May 30, 2009 Thanks so much all, for your suggestions! I put a flower trug (turned upside down) at the bottom of the ladder and it worked! Some took a few more days to get the hang of it than others but all has gone well. I'm so relieved and happy! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted May 30, 2009 Share Posted May 30, 2009 hi due to WIR I made my own wooden ladder but in the morning when we open the cube door they do not walk down the ladder in any order but its more like fall out and flap as fast as they can(they dont believe in queues) They do seem to use it for going to bed though in an ungainly fashion. We did post them into the cube for two evenings running when we first got them and they now put themselves in. Good luck indie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...