Karen & co.

Runescape

I just wondered if anyone else has children or indeed adults :wink: who play on the internet game Runescape?

It all seemed harmless initially, with no names or details given out etc., but now my youngest wants an 'account' so he can do extra things, and was really cheesed off when I said no, as there is a cost involved (only £4.00 but that's not the point)

I don't see why a game needs payment, and indeed who benefits from the funding?

karen x

My 11 year old son is addicted to the whole thing, Karen! He has an account - as he nevers wants much else anyway I don't mind. You get to play in members worlds that the general public can't - can go in more cities, get to do quests and there are more poweful monsters. Be aware though that it's not only kids that play - all the internet safety rules should apply - David has come down sobbing beofre now 'cos someone has beaten him and taken all his stuff that he has built up over months :cry: - have to explain that its not just kids and they don't all play as kindly as he does. You can always try it for a month and then cancel it? (although it sometimes seems to cancel itself anyway). Depends on how long you want him playing online for!!!! :roll:

Son took a look at Runescape a year or so ago, but luckily never really got involved with it, and so we never went into setting up accounts and so on. However we've had problems with daughter and an internet site called Habbo hotel. It all seems a bit silly to me, reasonably safe I think, ( but I'm a bit of an internet novice and worry that the security features can be breached in ways that I simply can't see) but it also involves a fair bit of expense as the players are persuaded to buy furniture for their rooms, and then invite all their friends into the room. Naturally it all becomes a bit of a show off thing as all the most desirable furniture is quite expensive and it all has huge potential to become a big problem.

So, we've stopped her from going on that site :shock:

I'm not very popular right now, and I sometimes wonder if I've over-reacted, her friends all participate, but I feel uncomfortable with it.

I suspect though that these game sites can be massive earners for their owners.

My kids do something similar called World of Warcraft - we've never had a problem with internet security - though the account is obviously set up in my name because he hasn't got a credit card!!

Actually - he uses it mostly to play against schoolmates who (naturally) live elsewhere - not against/with total strangers - it's not all adversarial either - quite a bit of it (as I understand it - which is not very much!!) is collaborative...

it can be quite addictive - but then so can anything, and that's down to your own family rules and normal awareness of general activity.

Inter-connectivity is the way that gaming is going. The PS2 can be hooked up via the computer to othjer PS2's - buit this will become much more easy with the wii and with all other next-generation gaming consoles..

to cut a long story short - there's no need to worry unduly aboyt runescape than with any other kind of computer or console gaming that might be addictive - or with any other computer activity (eg. MSN) that might hook him up to the "big bad world"...

Phil

You may find these rules of use they are from a site called Safekids.com

Kids' Rules for Online Safety

I will not give out personal information such as my address, telephone number, parents’ work address/telephone number, or the name and location of my school without my parents’ permission.

I will tell my parents right away if I come across any information that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I will never agree to get together with someone I "meet" online without first checking with my parents. If my parents agree to the meeting, I will be sure that it is in a public place and bring my mother or father along.

I will never send a person my picture or anything else without first checking with my parents.

I will not respond to any messages that are mean or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. It is not my fault if I get a message like that. If I do I will tell my parents right away so that they can contact the service provider.

I will talk with my parents so that we can set up rules for going online. We will decide upon the time of day that I can be online, the length of time I can be online and appropriate areas for me to visit. I will not access other areas or break these rules without their permission.

I will not give out my Internet password to anyone (even my best friends) other than my parents.

I will check with my parents before downloading or installing software or doing anything that could possibly hurt our computer or jeopardize my family’s privacy

I will be a good online citizen and not do anything that hurts other people or is against the law.

I will help my parents understand how to have fun and learn things online and teach them things about the Internet, computers and other technology.

DD2 dabbled with Runescape a while ago, but doesn't anymore.

DD3 got into Habbo Hotel but, like Kate, when other people started trying to make friends and ask questions, I got worried and stopped her using it. What worried me was that there was no way of knowing who these friends really were. And I think we got viruses from it.

DD1 (and now DD2) does Inselkampf, which I don't know a lot about but sounds quite similar to Runescape. I feel I have to trust her a bit more as she is 17!